If You Don't Have A Decent Airgun.....Git Youself One... SIG ASP Super Target Shooting.

cslinger

I may not have my own outdoor range but I have spent years building up my airguns and pellet stash and built houses with indoor airgun shooting in mind and it is just so nice to be able grab a gun, pop some pellets at 21'-55'. It continues to amaze me how much enjoyment I get from these things even during the best of times. They are a Godsend during times like these.

If you don't have yourself a good airgun.......git you some. :D

Tonight I was dorking around with my SIG ASP Super Target with some different pellets and managed this little group of 15 shots at around 21 feet offhand. (I know not 10M and certainly not Olympic material but last time I checked, neither am I, so I am happy.)

I wish I could give you some excuse for that one outside the group on the bottom like it was damaged pellet, or an air leak, or spider crawled up my leg........but alas tis' pure ineptitude on my part. I knew it was going wild before it left the barrel. :(

IMG_7876_zps0skbfnjc.jpg

I got a Daystate Regal Huntsman Regulated about four weeks ago. My first air gun ever. I purchased a sampler pack of target pellets to try out of it and I've been shooting it at 25 yards in my back yard. At that distance it's hard to get anything but a one hole group. The thing is amazingly accurate at that distance. Took it to a private range and shot fifty yards and I'm getting 0.5-.75" groups. It's cheap to shoot and pellets, even the really good ones, are fairly inexpensive. Yes, it's a good way to spend some time.

Yup, airguns for the win! Easy backyard shooting when I can't or don't want to make a trip to the range. If the shooting is too easy, use smaller targets and/or practice offhand and other positions besides just off the bench.
(I also have a Daystate Huntsman XL, albeit the unregulated one.)

How are you filling?
I bought a Hill pump when I got the gun. I soon found out that it's a good workout filling that gun. It's about 140 pumps to get it up to 250 bar. Being in my seventies, it's a bit more exercise than I want. The last twenty-five to thirty pumps actually requires me to put my total one-hundred-seventy pounds on the handle with my feet barely touching the floor. Last week I ordered and received a carbon fiber Omega tank that should top off my gun about thirty-five times before it needs filled. Now with the coronavirus shutting everything down that's non-essential, I can't find anyplace to fill the bottle. Back to pumping again until the dive shops open back up for business. The up-side is that after using the pump for a while, I can pump the gun up to the top without having to stop. I'm probably better off using the pump.....it's good exercise.

I bought a Sig-Sauer P226 air pistol so I could shoot in the basement until the ranges around me open again. It's a pretty good alternative when you can't get to the range and it's fun.

Air guns, pellet guns, whatever you call them... they're fun. I brought a friend of mine to the range once (he lives in a less than free state) and he brought his pellet gun while I brought my guns. He shot some of mine, I shot his and I really enjoyed shooting that pellet gun, but it couldn't go further than about 10 yards.

His was a .17 and I can't see a reason to go with a .17 over a .22 for pellet guns. A little more mass, the same price for projectiles and just as common.

His was a .17 and I can't see a reason to go with a .17 over a .22 for pellet guns.
If you're hunting, that makes sense. Indoors, or when the only object is making holes in paper at relatively close ranges, the .177 pellets work just as well. Although there are lots of .22 pellets, selection can be better in .177, and price is lower too.

The price difference sometimes isn't obvious because the tins go for about the same amount. But a .177 tin typically holds 400-500 while a .22 tin usually only hold about 200.

One big advantage of the .22 pellets is that they're easier to handle. .177 pellets are tiny and can be easy to fumble when loading.

I have hunted squirrels primarily with airgun for the last five years and love it. Just as effective as .22LR and quieter. I use .22 or .25 PCP. I hunt squirrels in the wild, not shot off the feeders as often seen in some UK videos.

I'm still sorting out which pellets to use, but these guns are like shooting a target grade .22lr......they simply have a "preferred" weight/brand. Wind is also a big factor with them. Still, they'll shoot well enough for small game hunting out to 50+ yards.

Attachments

• Group3-25-20.JPG
    Group3-25-20.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 14
but these guns are like shooting a target grade .22lr.

Yep. Several of my spring guns can be stretched out to 50 yards. I can’t get PCP groups but for a spring gun and an inept shooter behind them they will post some darn good groups at 50 yard. I, however, rarely get them out that far so my skill is lacking.

A good PCP gun will be a tack driver. With really the wind and the number of cups of coffee in you being your biggest enemies. :)

If you're hunting, that makes sense. Indoors, or when the only object is making holes in paper at relatively close ranges, the .177 pellets work just as well. Although there are lots of .22 pellets, selection can be better in .177, and price is lower too.

The price difference sometimes isn't obvious because the tins go for about the same amount. But a .177 tin typically holds 400-500 while a .22 tin usually only hold about 200.

One big advantage of the .22 pellets is that they're easier to handle. .177 pellets are tiny and can be easy to fumble when loading.
I can understand .177 for entertainment purposes and indoors shooting, but I don't see much appeal being stuck at 10 yards outdoors, especially with a rifle. .22 pellets are practically double in price, but it's not like they cost as much as larger caliber pellets do.

Unless someone is shooting 500 to 1000 pellets each week, the .22 is a better all around caliber.

10 Yards??? I have .177 rifles that easily shoot 50 yards??

Both have their pros and cons at range. .22 might handle the wind a bit better but will drop more and lose velocity faster.

.177 gets banged around by the wind more but shoots flatter and holds more velocity.......SWEET BABY JESUS I AM HAVING A 9mm vs .45 DEBATE WITH AIR RIFLES. :(

Carry on. :)

Shot my 2240 @ 20 yards yesterday in the backyard. I have 2,000 acres of prairie as a backstop. 2 groups of 20 shots in a little over 2" each. Stopped shooting when the CO2 crapped out and the last 2 shots started vertical dropping (not counting those in the 2nd group's size, as they were centered, but low). I wish I could do that at the range with my Glock!

Back