If you could only own one of these choices

bspillman

I’m looking at the Taurus 605 357 and the Smith n Wesson 637 38 plus p. If you had to chose between the 2. Which would you pick and why please? Thanks in advance.

I’m looking at the Taurus 605 357 and the Smith n Wesson 637 38 plus p. If you had to chose between the 2. Which would you pick and why please? Thanks in advance.

Mmmm. Either?

I've got a stainless 605 in my pocket right now, that I've had for 10 years (give or take). It's fine. But I almost never shoot .357 through it.

The S&W gets you practically the same gun, but without Taurus' legendary customer service. </sarc>

Features
• Lightweight alloy frame for easy carry
• Stainless steel barrel and cylinder
• External hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

Is an external hammer something you want?

I like the idea of having the single action option if I chose it. But no the external hammer is not a must. Thanks.

The 605’s I have shot have been excellent and nicer to shoot than the J frame Smiths. I don’t care for .357’s out of any of these snubbies, .38’s for me.

Then you might want to consider the S&W 649:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-649

163210_01_lg_0.jpg

While it has a hammer for SA use, it is shrouded so pocket carry doesn't result in a snag from the hammer spur.

In either event, I would take the S&W.

S&W over Taurus, every single time.

Why? a lifelong history of ownership of S&Ws. My father had some, and I've had at least one since reaching legal age to own one, over 40 years ago...

I know what to expect, and if it ever happens I don't get it, I have an American company to deal with.

I have a 637 and it's been 100% reliable. +P is a handful to shoot, but practice makes it easier to manage.

A 637 is my EDC. I, myself, like the SA option. In a coupla decades of carry, never had the hammer snag. Have had to pull it several times for dogs running at large and threatening my dog. Never had to pull the trigger, but had the gun cocked a coupla times. Practice with it both ways at the range and at SD distance, accuracy is very similar. What I like about the 637 is, because of it's size and weight, many times I forget I even have it on.

My wife has a Taurus 85 in her night stand, doesn't get shot much but it works fine. I had a S&W and it was a better gun. I gave the gun to my oldest son. Don't over look Ruger. I love my SP 101 and it is hard to beat the GP 100.

A 637 is my EDC. I, myself, like the SA option. In a coupla decades of carry, never had the hammer snag. Have had to pull it several times for dogs running at large and threatening my dog. Never had to pull the trigger, but had the gun cocked a coupla times. Practice with it both ways at the range and at SD distance, accuracy is very similar. What I like about the 637 is, because of it's size and weight, many times I forget I even have it on.

Your choice. I contemplate bobbing the hammer on my 605, myself.

Smith....better trigger, better machining, better finish, better collectibility.

Really no comparison. If you like the Taurus, their revolvers have an ok rep.

I don't care much for "J" frame size revolvers, but if I was going to have one, I'd get a Ruger LCR, mostly because I like the grip better.
(My real choice is a Ruger LC9s. I like it and shoot it better than ANY small revolver.)

However, between the Taurus and the Smith & Wesson. I've owned both, had no trouble with either. I just don't care for them, so pick the one you like best.

Back