If you could only have one choke tube for rifled slugs...

Clevinger

...in a smoothbore, what would you choose and why? This is my game, so you don't get to pattern it.

Cylinder?

Improved cylinder?

Truth be told, I would go with a Modified. (Now if your 2 choices above were it, then Imp Cyl) The reason is because when I was growing up I used an 870 Youth Field 20ga that had a 2 bead setup and I could consistently hit an 8" ring @ 100 yds. My official answer "Go with what you know that works"

Unlike Petah, I would not recommend a rifled tube. I have yet to see any proof that they improve groups over a normal choke. I would get myself a decent Imp cyl choke for use with birds and use that for slugs too.

My son's Mossberg 500 with modified choke shoots remington slugs better than it's designated slug barrel. I have found Winchester 1oz slugs (12 gauge) shoot better from skeet or cylinder bore. Every gun is different.

"Rifled slugs " --the rifling is there not to spin the slug but to be useble in a full choke barrel ! :eek:
Probably an ImpCyl choke would be best but it will vary gun to gun'

What Mo said. Go with what patterns best in your shotgun. If not able to and had to go blind on a fixed chocked barrel, I'd go modified. Just pattern the darn thing until you get the results your looking for. There is no shortcut unless you get lucky.

Are improved cylinders always safe for slugs?

IC is often recommended by various slug manufacturers. Modified can shoot them well also but have just always had tighter groups with IC. You can even shoot rifled slugs through a full. But that would be the tightest I would go..

What you really need to do is shoot some slugs through both the IC and modified to see what patterns best.

Will it cause any premature wear on the barrel of my Benelli?

No! The rifled slug being lead is much softer then the material your choke is made of.

A rifled choke couldn't hurt, and they are an excellent choice for home defense when using #4 Buck...

Improved Cylinder or modified. 99% of my shooting (hunting) is with modified, but I'd feel confident shooting mod or IC with slugs.

Back