If you could make the perfect handgun for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correia

Several months ago there was a thread where we all described what our ideal dream gun would be. I thought that it was a fun thread, with interesting responses. And we have gotten a lot of new members since then, so here goes:

If you could make a handgun to exactly your specifications what would it be like and why?

I would have a matching set, one full size, and one compact. The big one would have a 5" tube and full size grip, the smaller one would have a 3 1/2" tube and a shortened grip. They would take the same magazines, the regular mags would protrude from the grip of the smaller, but it would have a short mag for concealment.

I want a .45 with 10 shot capacity, (6 in the small one). The lockup would be based on the Sig 210. It would have a polymer frame with utility rails, with the grip shape and angle copied after the CZ. I want the action to be a light and smooth double action like the new LDA para. Double action only, bobbed hammer.

There would be an ambi thumb safety, in the standard 1911 position. Only I would want it to blend in more so that it wouldn't be very obvious, (for retention) but it would still be positive and easy to use. The mag release would be like that on an older Ruger with the ambi serrated push forward thingies. I want a mag disconnect, mag removed, it won't shoot.

It would be as slim as a 1911, and would have a meltdown. A Bar-sto barrel. Tritium night sights. And finished with one of those advanced finishes like Black T, or Roguard.

and last but not least, totally reliable, I'm talking like Galil kind of reliability, and more accurate than I am. Thats about it, doesn't seem like too much to ask for. ;)

If Glock would make the Keltec P11 in its exact dimensions with Glock reliability. For that matter if Glock would make the P32 as well.

It would be a Glock 30 with a single-action trigger and a thumb safety.

Now, tell me...how come I am the only one to think of that?
It encompasses the best of both worlds of the 1911 and the Glock. It would have all the features we love about Glocks, along with the wonderful SA trigger of the 1911, which is the main reason why people go with the famous 1911 and the main reason why people hate Glocks.

Mine would be a Ruger Single Six in .38 special. It could be either a five shot or a six as the cylinder of the .22 version measures 1.42" and a S&W J frame five shot is 1.30 and a Colt six shot D frame is 1.40".

Single Sixes feel wonderful in the hand and don't go out of time. I can't think of a more useful and pleasurable field pistol.

Toss up between all three: Airweight 9mm J-frame OR .45acp Mountain Gun Or K-frame 9mm w/ adjustable sights and 4" bbl. Stainless on all.

OK, I've allways dreamed of a Ruger GP-100
3 inch barrled 5 shot, non-fluted cylnder,
.44 mag. maybe a bobbed hammer version, it
would pack a nice punch, stainless , maybe the grips could be Redhawk but round gripped
and shortened, you could put ivory grips and
ingrave it, 3 dot sights, BUT Ruger won't listen to me!! :}

A Walther P99 in .45ACP, and made as tough as the HK USP .45 (able to shoot .45 Super right out of the box!), a smooth trigger to rival or better the SIG's, with interchangeable barrels in Triton .40 Super, and ability to shoot 40 SW, .357SIG, and even 9mm ammo with just a barrel and mag swap! Of course, it'll have to have a pretty sophisticated breechface/extractor (and a sophisticated recoil management system...a dynamically-adjusting spring).
Oh, and an external "cocker" to go with the "Decocker!" :-)

Correia, you have touched that word "SLIM" features that I like much to a 1911. If there is a pistol in the market that, that is 5" SLIM and in .45 caliber, having 12 or 13 mag capacity, then, it is my choice. But most pistol even 9mm if it is high capacity the grip is not that slim already. Add what Red Bull said, the choice I mentioned should be also SA trigger mode.

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited October 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited October 10, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back