If stopped, do you tell LEO you're carrying?

deanf

Assuming garden variety traffic stop for speeding or some other infraction, would you tell the officer that you're carrying as a matter of course, or would you only tell him if there's a chance he may see the gun and become concerned?

My opinion is: If he's not going to see it, there's no reason to mention it.

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited June 06, 1999).]

Yes, I would show him. In my state, Texas, I'm required to present both my concealed handgun license and driver's license if stopped by an officer. By the way, most of the officers I know fully support this law allowing honest citizens to lawfully "carry."
Best.

There's no guarantee that any traffic stop is just routine.

In Tennessee, we are supposed to tell the officer "right away" that we have a permit and are armed, even before showing a license.

As a matter of course, I'll do it out of state too. I figure even if I'm in violation of their law, at least they can't claim I tried to hide the fact that I was carrying.

Mikey

If the law in the state requires it, yes. If not, I allow circumstances to dictate. Generally, I keep my hands on the wheel and make slow movements. My license and registration are usually in my hand before he/she approaches, as the weapon is on my right hip and the wallet in my right rear pocket.

If asked to exit the vehicle I always let the officer know there's a weapon on me first. If the gun is in the glove box, I never volunteer the information unless asked, as it's not an issue.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited June 06, 1999).]

I know this subject has come up before. Since the last time we discussed the issue I have also heard credible stories about some LEO's taking down serial numbers off of guns brought to their attention.

I believe in AZ we only present the gun and permit upon request. With the news about some LEO's recording these numbers, I am likewise very reluctant to simply offer the information. With any form of open carry I certainly mention the fact before I create any kind of concern.

It will be interesting to hear how our LEO's currently feel about this subject. Besides the specific question of knowing about the firearm, how do our LEO friends feel about recording the serial numbers of our personal property?

In California, the CCW permit lists all of the pistols you can carry. You of course, provide all this information when you initially get the permit and when you renew. I have wondered why this was necessary, but now I see. It establishes the gun as yours and it won't be necessary for a LEO to run the numbers to verify such.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

In Washington, our CPL (Concealed Pistol License, as it's officially called) laws are pretty liberal. We can carry any gun we want, owned by the individual or not. There is no requirement to display the CPL unless asked by legal authority, and there is no requirement to inform an officer that one is carrying.

It's interesting to hear that some states require you to speak up about the fact you're carrying. Of course it's wise in some situations, but when not necessary, it would seem to create more problems. What was once an investigation of a traffic infraction has become a potential criminal investigation (in the cop's mind.) Every cop I know will run a gun encountered on a traffic stop through WACIC/NCIC (state and national database for stolen property) even if the violator has a CPL, and there is no other reason for suspicion. The act of running the gun is a criminal investigation.

I agree with Mr. Camp. In Texas, a CHL shows you passed a rather stringent background investigation - rumored to be the same one state troopers must pass.

In any case, showing the CHL is mandatory if you have a firearm on or about your person. Even when I am NOT armed, I'll show the CHL to prove my background is clean.

They normally ask me, "Where's your gun?" Once I tell them, (without moving a muscle) they usually seem more relaxed and friendlier.

In VA, you're required to inform the officer if you're carrying or have one in the car (not in plain sight). FWIW, I've been stopped once since getting my CCW, followed the protocol, and the officer was downright cordial. He thanked me for letting him know up front, (he hadn't called me in yet, he would have been informed when he did) allowed as how he only really worries about those who don't tell him. I had a SIG (228), he had a SIG (229 .357), we talked SIGs, he said please slow down, I said "yes, sir", and that was that - no ticket. OTOH, I'm heading south on vacation thru NC & SC, I will research the laws there, and all things being equal, I suspect I'll keep my own confidence.
M2
M2

Hi All, JUST_THE_OTHER day I was stopped for speeding (75 in a 55). Since I live in Indiana, I am not to paronoid about informing an officer that I am carrying. I pulled WAY_OFF_THE road (lot of our LEO's have been getting hit recently), all windows down, liscense and permit in hand. He asked for info, asked where my gun was, told me he appreciated being informed and asked me to leave it holstered. Went back, wrote my ticket (which I deserved), and returned. When he gave me my ticket, he apologized and said it was nothing personal. With the way the radar, computer, etc were all linked together it is hard for them to give a "warning" for going so fast. We BS'd for a few minutes and then I spent the rest of my drive cussing myself for not paying attention and not getting the cruise control fixed. David

In Oklahoma it is mandatory also to present the permit when you are stopped by a LEO. The one time I was stopped the officer was professional and did not seem to care, I just sat in the car and we talked. No ticket :>)
have a day
bud

In my state I'd show my concealed handgun licence to the LEO right away, since it's a crime not to. Besides the fact that I'm law-abiding, if I didn't show it to him, he'd find out about it anyway when he checked my DL on the computer in his patrol car.

My brother put himself in this situation once when he was pulled over for a traffic violation--that is, he failed to show his concealed handgun license, but it turned up on the LEO's computer anyway. The LEO could have placed him under arrest, but thankfully just dressed him down instead.

Everyone should volunteer the information. Unless you were carrying in NJ, DC, CA, or a small handfull of other areas, it would be risking way too much not too. If you have a permit from anywhere you are much more likely to get a little respect from any LEO I know than get thrown int he can.. If, however, you area asked to get out of the vehilce (maybe to look at a burned out taillight ..etc..) and the officer finds it, notices it, or (god forbid) you get into his car without telling him, you are really going to have him pissed.. because you will have reminded him how easy it would be for someone to kill him.

Indiana has no requirement to inform officer, and I would not UNLESS you are asked to exit vehicle. Arizona DOES require you to inform the officer if you are carrying, at least that is what my notes say from my class in Az. N.H. does not have a requirement to inform. Florida, looked at my Fl. rules, but no mention of traffic stops. I think I would inform in FL.

The big question is what you do in states that honor your state's permit. I doubt any of us know the law in each state, so if you are sure your permit is honored, I think I would inform, and I know I would if asked to exit vehicle.

The key is to drive in a manner that does not get one stopped. GLV

------------------

I guess I still don't understand why it would be good to inform if your not in a state that requires it, unless there is some chance that the officer will see it, or will be searching you. In WA, it is not common practice for an officer to run every violator for guns or a CPL, and the info doesn't appear on the driver's license return on the computer. I know, look at my profile.

I guess it comes down (in my mind) to being none of the officer's (government's) business if I'm carrying or not.

From an officer safety standpoint, every person that an officer contacts should be considered armed until proven otherwise.

Since none us actually drive like the instructors told us too, at least not anyone that I havve ever met, and ANYONE can have a tailight or headlight go out, I think that counting on not getting pulled over would be foolish.

There is an excellent resource in the TFL Link section that keeps a very updated list of the state by state CCW and reciprocation laws. I highly advise anyone travelling with a firearm to check it out, and problably print out the relevant pages for their travels.

While an LEO might not be very impressed by your Internet resource, it will show that you had every intent of following the law as you understood it, which often is 99% of the battle with an LEO.. provided you have not endangered yourself or anyone else.

------------------
-Essayons

Indiana is a pretty gun friendly state. I have plenty of stories from fellow shooter that got pulled over and presented thier permit. I have not heard of any negative reactions and heard quite a few instances where the permit started other conversations that ended up with a "slow down and have a good day". I have heard one stories where a "non-shooting" LEO later met with one of his stops at the range later that month. He is now a member and brings his family as well. Would he have otherwise? Since I am not "paranoid" about being harassed where I live I think of it as a courtesy, a show of respect if you like (God knows that they don't get enough). It also give me the opportuniy to show them that there are plenty of legal, responsible citizens CCW out there. Just my .02

Back