IF ONLY TEN?

tog

if you were limited to only ten rounds in your magazine, which round would it be?
this is not intended as a caliber war
i'm thinking of getting a 10 round full size home defense and plinking type gun
just wondering what caliber and platform would you get if limited to only ten rounds?
i know the one you shoot the best and so forth, but what about velocity, energy, expansion and all that stuff?
right now for me it is a g21 loaded with 200 grn corbons
but the g31 and other 357 sigs are looking like good alternatives in these klinton mag times
when will the klinton crime bill ever be overturned?
and how much of a push is there for it with the politicos?
thanks for any replies
wanting to know what yall think about platform/caliber for ten rounds only

My current ten round thingy is my 1911 type Kimber with 10 round power mags.

357 sig is fun to shoot but a pain to reload.

Glock 27 is a good 10 round carry gun with the peirce +1 mag thingy on the 9 round mags.

Glock 26 is a good 10 round carry gun out of the box.

i personally like 9mm and .45. i don't like .40 and .357sig as much but i do have a .40cal pistol (Glock 22) and like it a lot. .40 and .357sig have a lot of recoil that's sharp and snappy. even though they're more powerful than the 9mm i'd rather have a 9mm since i can put more rounds on a target faster and more accurately. probably the best pistol if limited to 10rds is a Glock 30. it holds 10rds of .45 yet is small enough for concealment and at the same time big enough for a good home defense pistol. the G30's recoil is the lightest of basically any .45 and they're extreemly reliable and accurate. i really like mine but it doesn't fit my hands as well as some other pistols so i don't shoot it that well. my favorite 9mm pistol is my Glock 19 and i'd still feel comfortable using it for home defense if limited to 10rds. full-sized 1911s are also good and depending on what mags you use will holds 7-10rds.

oh yeah forgot to mention. my personal choice in defense loads would be:

9mm: Speer 124gr+P Gold-Dots
.40: Speer 155gr Gold-Dots or 155gr Federal Hydra-Shoks
.45: Speer 230gr Gold-Dots for 5" barreled pistols and 200gr+P or 185gr Gold-Dots for shorter barreled pistols

Versatility, I have the V-16 Springfield 45 Super. You can hunt with the 45 Super, Shoot 45 acpP+ and plink with 45 acp regular. Long slide is beautiful. Shoots like a charm out of the box. There are still some of last years model out there. I saw some in the Gun List. Running about 650 or there about. Great gun!

shooter22

Only 10 rounds, that's easy.

Gimme 10 of 10! I'll take 175gr STHP, or the 155gr or 180gr XTP, or the ProLoad or Georgia Arms 155gr Gold Dot, or the Fed HiShok 155gr.

After that, the .357 Sig in either my 229 or my G32 shines a little brighter then the other rounds outside of 10mm.

Derek

Ten...no problemo....45 Auto 230gr JHP!

I want the largest diameter heavy bullet hitting my target.

What if the Govt decided that HP's are no good for us as well? I still have my .45. I could give a flip about what the OSS stats are per hardball, I can look at different bullets and tell you definitely which one I would NOT want to get hit with.

I would even be happy with 6+1, which I do have for my CCW- a G36 .45 auto. You would be amazed at the bitching and whining over at Glock Talk when it comes to 4 rounds difference. One even had the nerve to suggest that carrying a .38 revolver would be more efficient because I only carry 6+1, but at the same time carrying a G30 with 10 is the best thing since sliced bread. I guess for all these years folks that have been carrying Commander and Officer Size pistols would have been better off with Airweight 38's...NOT!

Go figure.

Good Shooting
RED

If you are limiting the number of rounds, then I'd definately get the largest calibre with which you can comfortably and accurately shoot. For myself, theis would mean the 45 ACP (including the +P and 45 super/450 SMC flavours). I am looking at the wilson KZ-45 as far as a good 10 round 45 platform. Whatever you choose make certain you are comfortable shooting the pistol and that it is reliable above all.

my choices would be 9mm, or .40. as far as the type/grain of ammo it would depend on which i found to be most proficient for me.

Adept

I currently own...

...three autos with 10-round mags: a 10mm Auto Glock 29 and a .45 Glock 30, both of which were designed around 10-round mags; also, a .40 cal Beretta Border Marshal (for which I also have a few eleven round *snicker* High-Capacity magazines...).

Anything thats 9mm or up. Then practice, practice, practice and then practice some more..

As long as you can make hits on target easily, caliber selection should be secondary.

Mark /FL

G20 my friend with 10 rounds of Win Silvertips. More fpe than almost any 45 defense load can offer.

9mm is nice just not enough fpe for me. 45 is nice too but most don't drive that ashtray fast enough. And 357
SIG is a bottleneck just like 400 Corbon. Nice idea but they are more prone to jamming that straight walls.

10mm is the MOST versatile caliber out there. and I know, i relaod for all of them. The powder and bullet manufacturers love the 10mm round because it's so flat shooting. Great fro plinking and hunting. It's a real smack down get out of my face round. I don't think too many BGs can shake that smack off. But they routinely shake of 9, 40, and 45 body shots.

From 9mm sized 135 grainers all of the way up to 220 grainers like the 45 ACP offers you, the 10mm can offer you cream puff target loads all the way to snot stompin oh snap watch that deer drop loads.

You just have to buy your ammo from Georgia Arms or on the Net to get similar pricing to 45 ACP. Or reload like the rest of us, then it's only about $4 a box of 50 rounds to reload to your specs for your barrel.

If need be, destroy not penetrate the target. Puncture wounds don't stop then, only slow them.

Get a 10mm! Join me.

Back