If not YT or FB or any others, where to?

Pond James Pond

I was watching a video on YouTube about a crossbow hunter whose video was pulled by YT for community guideline infringement regarding their firearms policy.

Apparently shooting at a target in a backyard does that in YT's eyes.

It seems that more and more social media platforms blocking or prohibiting firearms et al related material regardless how innocuous the content actually is, either due to pressure from the cancel culture brigade or as what they see as a branding/positioning move.

We know that when there is a void in the market, someone moves to fill it and there clearly is a void for a social media platform or two catering to things like the hunting, outdoors, firearms enthusiast, competition shooting and SD interest groups.

Are there such emergent social media platforms now?

If so, can you discuss what they are and if they are any good?

Rumble is growing. Has a long way to go to hold the content YT does but if they keep banning stuff rumble will only grow. If they are banning the one you mentioned there's ALOT that will be gone

It seems like the big issue for an alternative site would be the servers to host all the material. I'm by no means an expert in this area, but don't companies like Amazon, Google, Microsoft etc own the various server farms. If so isn't it likely they'll be likeminded in their positions?

Well, there's no question that there's lots of stuff on there, but for example a lot of the firearms channel's got demonetised and a crossbow channel had their video pulled.

It might be that they start doing it retrospectively but they are definitely tightening the screws so to speak. They are slowing choking these topics out of circulation.

The faster they ban stuff, the sooner they'll go out of business and move their revenue to a competitor. While their competitors are struggling to get up to speed, because they are setting up actual HW vs going to the cloud, the demand will only give them the revenue they need to set up the required HW. I say let the YT commies ban it all. The sooner, the better. Would love to see the big players go down in the flames they themselves started.

Well, there's no question that there's lots of stuff on there, but for example a lot of the firearms channel's got demonetised and a crossbow channel had their video pulled.

The kicker is demonetization. It isn't a matter for most of where they can post, but where they can post and make MONEY. I see on lots of channels where the YouTubers are whining (some rightfully so) about demonetization and how they are going to be forced to go elsewhere, but then they don't leave. They are still making money from a lot of their videos and cross post on other platforms where they aren't making much, sometimes, not any money from the platform, though they may make it from vendors. The point being, how many big time people do you see complaining about YouTube and its policies that have actually stuck by their guns and gone elsewhere. Take MAC or Hickok45, for example, they both remain despite numerous videos of complaining.

Community guidelines?
I may be dense....wife says she thinks that...
If YT (Youtube???) Won't carry a bow shooting video what about stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/vAfJG1PMjbY

I am about 1000% certain YT didn't ban a video for shooting in the backyard. I have over 700 YT videos and have dealt with the inaneness of their policies over the years. While the guidelines are squirrelly and morph from time to time, there are numerous videos of people shooting in their back yards. That isn't going to be the issue. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=backyard+shooting

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=backyard+bow+shooting

For my videos, I have figured out that if I take the blood and gore out of hunting, YT generally does not have a problem with my videos. For necropsy stuff, I do unmonetized videos with all the appropriate warnings and post those and I don't get into trouble. Some don't get advertised by YT as much, but they can be posted and shared just fine. One of the bigger keys seems to be whether or not you want to make money from your channel.

Back