If my gun breaks during an IPSC match....

Mike Davies

What is the procedure that I must follow to switch to a 'back-up' gun? I shoot a 1911, but will be taking a Browning HP (9mm)as a 'back-up'. Is switching from a gun that shoots 'major' to a gun that shoots 'minor' allowed?

Sorry, Mike, but that won't work. The substitute handgun must be "of the same type, action, and caliber as the handgun the competitor used to start the competition."

(USPSA Rule book, 14th Edition, rule 5.2.6.1)

I would imagine most clubs would let you slide on that point, but you would most likely be scored as minor for the entire match. It wouldn't work at a major match, where guns are probably more likely to break, due to the high round count.

PKN: I'm sure that most local 'club' IPSC matches would turn a blind eye if a competitor's (.45ACP)gun broke, and another was substituted (9mm)...they most certainly would score as Minor, though.
I've noticed that when I shoot in club IPSC matches in the States, 10rnd magazines are 'allowed' in single stack 1911's...although in major matches, they are, of course subject to "the IPSC box".
Mike

Mike,

The 10 rounders in single stacks are allowed because we are using USPSA limited rules, not IPSC Standard class. We are not subject to the box, even in major matches.

Very early on I had a gun breakdown in a match. Since then I have always kept an extra gun (same type and caliber) in the bag, just in case. I'm not about to drive two hours to a match and not finish it. Though many guys if finished would probably lend you there gun to finish the match.

TaxPhd:
Ahh...I wasn't aware of the difference..thankyou! And I thought that the clubs were just being benevolent.<gg>
That's good information...I'm joining the USPSA, so will read the rulebook for Limited...I was under the impression that "Limited" and "Standard" were one and the same.
Much appreciated.

Ned: Keeping a 'spare' gun is certainly a good idea. I'm sure *someone* would lend me a gun if I did have problems, but having your own is better...now..do I really want to splurge *another* $279 Canadian on a second new Norinco 1911A1?<GG>

Back