Idpa/uspsa

There is a higher round count in USPSA and if you want to place at the top of the list your gear will cost more.

Both are great!!

There are a few differences between Idpa & Uspsa/Ipsc. One is Idpa you must use cover while engaging the targets and while reloading. Uspsa is more run & shoot. Idpa you can only use production equipment from guns to holsters. You must conceal your holster. Where as Uspsa there are many divisions from production class (Glock, Springfield’s etc) to custom made match race guns. Both are great sports. Check out both their websites there is everything you need to get started. Also go to your local matches meet the people and don’t be afraid to ask lots of question. The people there is what makes both sports what they are. They will walk you thru the stages show you scoring, rules of the game and the equipment most use. GREAT PEOPLE!! Have fun and as always shoot safe!!
XD

I think the main thing is which is shot closest to you, more often, and has the most congenial group of people. I shoot IDPA these days but put in a lot of USPSA before there was an IDPA. So I don't get into discussions about which is "best."

"...most congenial group of people."
That is a very good point. Personally, I'm going to try both to see which I prefer. I shot USPSA last year and found the new shooters in my division were friendly along with the older shooters. But, the "young guns" were a bit standoff-ish. Not too approachable. They seemed to be more into serious competition, and stuck to their select group. I'll see how IDPA compares this year.

USPSA, requires you to be able to read the stage and find the fastest way to run the stage with your equipment. With USPSA it's best to shot and reload on the move. Once you leave the production division you leave anything that resembles carry equipment behind, customized race guns, and race holsters are often required to reach the top of the game in those divisions.

With IDPA you have more equipment rules, you have to shoot from cover and engage targets are you would see them as you lean out, and you also have to reload behind cover. With IDPA there is often only one way to run the stage, it's rare they give you options beyond which side to shoot first if they start you in the middle.

Neither should be considered practice for a gun fight, they are both games, with different rules.

I don't get hung up on what the differences are. Shoot whatever is in your area, IDPA, ISPC, ICORE, Steel Challege, bowing pins, silloetttes, etc, etc. Its all fun, you spend lots of money for your guns/gear, use it!

Yep, you will find you prefer one over the other, but you will enjoy them all.

Sevigny proved it ain't the gear

IDPA is more about execution of sanctioned tactics.

USPSA is more about deciding on tactics, and execution.

Gear, EXCEPT at the very highest levels, is a total non-issue.

Normally one encounters higher rd-ct at USPSA matches.

IDPA is privately owned and for-profit.
USPSA is part of an international organization called IPSC.

Both can be fun; both have weenies.

A33102

In IDPA, targets are considered "threats", and the rules compel you to treat them as if they're shooting back. IPSC/USPSA is a search and destroy game, the targets only so much bullet fodder, and the shooter largely deciding how to best ventilate them. Hit factor scoring, as used in IPSC/USPSA, favors speed to a much greater extent than IDPA's time-plus-penalties scoring. Other than that, they really are very similar. If you are geared-up for IDPA Custom Defensive Pistol or Enhanced Service Pistol, you are also perfectly kitted for USPSA's Single Stack division. Likewise, if you have equipment that's legal for IDPA's Stock Service Pistol, you'll be ready for USPSA's Production division, as well. Both sports are great fun.

Back