IDPA Tactical Reload for Revolvers

J. Williams

In a stage scenario that calls for minimum 6 rounds to be fired, then perform a "tactical reload", do revolver shooters catch/retain their empty casings or can they just drop them to the ground?

Drop 'em.
There is no requirement to retain empties.
If it were, say, a shoot 4, tac load string, leaving you with 2 live rounds; the IDPA recommendation is to "stuff the whole mess in your pocket." Obviously there are not many revolver shooters on the BoD. When I was shooting SSR - all of 1999 - I worked on various revolver tac loads that would not leave me with empties mixed with live in my pocket, but a real need never came up.

The complete quote from the rule book FAQ is:
HOW DO I DO A TACTICAL RELOAD WITH A REVOLVER? Basically with a revolver you just have to take any unfired rounds remaining in your cylinder with you. A common method of doing a tactical reload with a revolver is to dump empty cases and unfired rounds into your hand, stuff the whole mess in your pocket, then recharge your revolver to full capacity. You are considered reloaded when the cylinder closes with the revolver fully loaded.

This is a big reason why I haven't been back to my "local" IDPA club. The first time I shot there I went prepared, read the rulebook, knew the differences between IPSC and IDPA--I thought. Shooting a revolver, course description called for six shots, tactical reload, movement--dropped empty moon on ground and was penalized. I protested that it was empty and was told that the rulebook didn't care--I asked to be shown the rule and NO ONE could come up with a rulebook. Was also told that the rule changed "depending on how many revolver shooters we get".

No thanks. I made the effort to learn your rules, and got dinged anyway.

Steve

Alleycat

So sorry you had such a bad experience. That's why our question came up. We had one revolver shooter last weekend and we really didn't know what the "correct answer" was.

We also sent this question directly to the IDPA for their "official" answer - we want our matches to be fair for all concerned.

The matches can be, and should be, fun and, according to the rule book, any judgements go in favor of the competitor.

In point of fact....

I find any course of fire that "demands" a "tactical" reload somewhat questionable. How is it the designers of the course can decree the need for a proceedure that is arguably nonsense?

I also question the need for reloads on every stage.

$.02

IDPA = "game"

Please don't lose sight of THAT specific reality.

(Ever wonder why the upper elite of IPSC are the folks who train the upper elite of real-world operatives? Ever?)

----------------------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are carry AND competition handguns"

Back