IDPA shooters, drop slide on empty chamber?

gregjc9

I started shooting IDPA last year, and love it. I have a knock-off match at a local range tonight, so last night I was practicing, and realized I had been dropping the slide on my XDm on an empty chamber when showing empty to the RO at the end of a stage. I've read all the pros and cons about doing this, and I try not to whenever I'm at the range practicing. But when finishing a stage and showing the RO the firearm is clear before holstering, I realized I had been doing just that. I will start easing the slide closed with my off hand. Just wondered how many others do it at a match, but not when regularly practicing?

I never intentionally allow the slide to slam shut on any gun I own. Some people do, and if it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me. That's not true, I cringe every time. ;)

That's kind of what I had figured. I never do any other time, I guess I was getting caught up in all of it. I had a match tonight, and I made sure I didnt let my slide slam close. :o

you will get tons of people with different opinions. I know the side of people that say it is bad for the gun and the others who says it doesnt matter. I know i have dropped the slide on empty chamber thousands upon thousands of times with pretty much all of my guns and have NEVER had an issue. However, i feel that its like most things, when done in moderation it will not effect, so i am trying to switch over, but when shooting competitions the man giving the instructions is boss and if he says something about riding the slide forward and you dont listen, you will be asked to leave or not attend again. I have found most competition shooters to be very helpful and friendly, but most places ive shot do not give more than one chance on unsafe gun handling or disobeying range officer commands

IDPA: It goes without saying there is always some nervous gun guy at a match with an opinion, but you have to do what he says...it's one reason some peeps don't compete..

Never heard of showing an empty chamber, usualy just holstering is considered safe.....

IDPA: It goes without saying there is always some nervous gun guy at a match with an opinion, but you have to do what he says...it's one reason some peeps don't compete..

Never heard of showing an empty chamber, usualy just holstering is considered safe.....

It is not just IDPA that has set up the triple redundant system other gun games use the same procedure, IDPA didn‘t invent it they just copied a good system. The shooter unloads and looks into the chamber to make sure it’s unloaded, then the RO looks into the chamber to make sure it’s unloaded, then the shooter lowers the slide and dry fires into the berm just incase they both missed it. If 100% safety isn’t your game, neither are any of the gun games.

FWIW ranges are almost always "cold" so a loaded pistol is a no no unless you are the shooter.

johns7022, if you ever go to a USPSA match (and I think IDPA is the same), after you finish the course of fire you are required to show the RO (and yourself, more importantly) you have an empty chamber and then dryfire the weapon before you reholster.

ETA: FWIW, I've never had any qualms dropping the slide on an empty chamber on any of my handguns.

I've shot a fair amount of steel matches and don't believe I've ever seen anyone do anything but drop the slide without riding it. Some of the people shooting are national level competitors. I've never heard anyone say that it's bad for the gun, either.

:confused:

I ride the slide forward. I see no reason to subject the gun to more stress when it doesn't serve any purpose.

I have only shot one match (last Saturday, and it won't be my last :)).

I was asked to "show clear" at the end of each stage. However, unless I had shot to slide-lock during the stage, all I did was a) drop the mag, b) pull open the slide to eject the chambered round and c) hold the slide open to show the RO. Then I rode the slide closed. At which point I was told to drop the hammer (by squeezing the trigger).

If shot to slide lock, I dropped the mag, showed the RO the empty chamber, and rode the slide closed. They had no problem with that.

I shoot a 1911, FWIW.

IDPA Shooters drop slide on empty chamber??

I have been doing this in IPSC for the last 21 years and IDPA for the last 3 years. Guns, Para 16-40 (1911 wide body in .40S&W), Glock 21, Springfield Armory 1911 45ACP. No issues and all still shoot just fine. Lots of matches plus practice at my Home ranges doing the same. For me this is an "Old Wives Tale" along with shooting lead in Glock guns......YMMV.

I've heard the story about never slamming the slide on tuned 1911's but my Rock River has been just fine after all I've fed it and all I've beat on it at the range.

I'll let it slam forward personally but I will not deride those who use a gentler approach.

It is evident from your above statement that YOU have not/ do not shoot IDPA.
The rule book, page 11 C 18. Range Commands states the following,
H. Unload and Show Clear.
I. Slide Down or Cylinder Closed.
J. Hammer Down.
K. Holster
Then and ONLY then is the RANGE SAFE. PERIOD
I have omitted the range commands A-G as they do not pertain to the discussion at hand

Non-issue

To me it is a non-issue whether it hurts the gun or not. Firing the gun hurts the gun! That is why after a while they get loose and need rebuilding. If dropping on an empty chamber damages something I will just replace it as a normal maintenance/wear issue. That is why you inspect your guns, rotate through a stock of competition and carry guns so when one is being fixed another can be used. They are tools, they wear, they are fixable and replaceable and it only takes money, which I have. Non-issue.

I view it like flipping your cylinder closed with a wrist flip, its the mark of someone who watches too much TV.

Some folks like to pop the clutch too. Guess its all about cool.

WildbutheyyourgunyourfunAlaska TM

Back