IDPA revolver question

glockopop

In IDPA stock revolver, what is the barrel length requirement? I would kind of like to get a 3-inch barrel but if I have to have 4-inch I'll do it. I'd just like to know before I buy anything. Also, is there anybody who shoots revolver regularly that can recommend any guns, gear, training/reloading techniques, etc. I used to have a 4-inch 686 and liked it but I'd like something a little lighter and better balanced. Gotta be a .357. GP100? S&W? Variety is the spice of life, and I've shot a Glock and a SIG at IDPA, and once we restart matches in the spring I'll use my girlfriend's Browning Hi-Power too. Stock revolver is the final frontier.

The MAXIMUM barrel length for revolvers in IDPA is four inches. Three is acceptable, I have seen a few in use, though most people want sight radius more than "balance."

I have shot about two and a half seasons (out of nine) with revolver, and I can say:
A large majority shoot S&W, various K and L frame guns for .38. A friend and I went one year with our Pythons and I have seen some Ruger GPs.
I get my gear from Ready Tactical Products
www.pistolpacking.com
Of course the key to revolver shooting is a good combination of speed and accuracy shooting double action.
Most (but not all) sixgunners reload with the strong hand from speedloaders carried in front of the holster as rules allow. Safariland Comp III and Jetloaders are fastest, but technique governs.

Back