IDPA questions on equip and courses

Blue Duck357

A friend mentioned a IDPA match (or qualification, not sure) at his local range (about an hour from me) It sounded intersting, But I really don't know much about it. I found there website but was not sure about a couple of things.

I assume I can use my Glock 23 in Sidearmor holster (OWB), in thier "stock" category, but I was considering tritium night sites and a 3.5 pound disconnector from Glock, would either or both of these rule me out?

My second question is I know pretty situational, but I wonder what the general max range to these things are. If a lot of stages are at 50+ yards or head shots at 35 yards I frankly don't have much business even wasting these folks time by showing up with my present set up and skill level.

I work as a parole officer and we go through tactical courses a couple times a year and I do great, but freely admit this is against mostly "I shoot twice a year, when I have to" folks. I also have a 1991A1, but really carry the Glock more and would like to get better with it. Would this be good way to accomplish that? or would I just be kinda of getting in the way of the "real" competitors.

Thanks for any help, Blue Duck

You can do anything to the gun except weights or ports.
Don't worry about the long shots, you'll get better with competition. I've never seen a 50 yd. shot at any match I've been to.

Blue Duck357:

If you will go back to the IDPA Website, you can look at the rule book. There are no externally visible modifications allowed other than grips or sights. For instance, you can not add an extended mag release like the one on the G35. Sights must be standard notch and post and night sights are allowed. The 3.5 trigger is also allowed.

The Web site also has a diagram for the IDPA classifier and recommendations for courses of fire. IDPA has a philosophy of making the shots fairly simple, then let the timer sort it all out. For instance, you will almost never see a "head" shot longer than 10 yards and any shot over 20 yards is almost unheard of. The goal is to shoot accurately and quickkly. While IDPA prides itself on accuracy, the -0 zone is as big as an A zone in IPSC and a whole lot bigger than the 10 ring on a B-27. If you can keep your shots on a standard TQ training target, then you will do fine.

Go do a IDPA and have fun!! It is a great learning experience. Approach it as that.
The only person you need to compete against is yourself.
There is one shooter that does our local IDPA who always finishes near last. Why? Beacuse he does the event like real life.. moves slowly, always behind cover,etc. He doesn't care where he finishes. He is there to use the event as a learning experience.
I try to do it that way, but I seem to brain fade and go into my IPSC mode from time to time.
Go do it and get hooked!!!

My experience is limited, but I believe that the official line is that most targets are within 15 yards. At the Southern Regional match last week, the toughest shots were head shot droppers (4"x4"), one stage had two of them, I'd estimate the closer at 7 yards and the further at 10.

IMNSO, 35 yard headshots and 50 yard shots in general have no business as part of something touted as "Defensive Pistol SHooting"!

One thing though, don't be discouraged by the Classifier. It is bogus. The scoring system used during the classifier is different from the one used during competition. This has always really bugged my about IDPA, and from what I gather, I'm not the only one. The difference in the scoring is significant, particularly if you generally shoot quickly. My motto is "One in the gut and one in the chest is better than just one in the X-ring!" Double and Tripple tapping during competition can improve your score if you are fast enough ("extra" shots are called "pick-ups"), but your shots are limited during the classifier. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be classified too low and you'll run all over your competition during your first match...

Have Fun.

Your G23 and mods are fine. The classifier is 90 rounds total, 14 starts on 3 Stages(30 rounds each). Closest is 5 yards on Stage 2, and 20 yards on Stage 3. The only required head shots are on Stage 1 at 7 yards. Scoring is exactly the same as scenarios and standards. IDPA is accuracy based, every point you drop is worth 1/2 second added to your time. You may shoot the classifier as many times as you want.

Also try to remember that the classifier is used to measure a shooters skill level so that you can be "classified." That way in a match you are actually only shooting against other shooters in your division (gun type), and skill level (Novice, Marksman, Sharp Shooter, Expert, or Master).

After all, it is a game. It's just a lot more practical then most others forms.

Back