IDPA Newbie

MisterCrabby

Hi gang, Any other Newer-ish competition shooters out there ?

I was turned into it by a golfing buddy a couple of months ago. I’ve observed a couple of matches and then shot one the last two weekends.

So far my experience has been great. Super nice people. No condescending dixxs. Very safe. Super fun. Middle of the pack scores but feel like I have lots of room to improve. Like my golf game !

I am now a card card carrying member of IDPA.

Who else is doing it? I’m want to hear!

Crab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only been in IDPA since 1997. Welcome aboard.
I was working with a couple of recruits yesterday.
A previous recruit is going to her first National Championships next month.

Yesterday morning I shot a club match at New Buffalo Rod & Gun. Nice facility, well run, friendly. My accuracy was ok but my speed, especially my splits and sight acquisition needs to improve. But I knew that already so it didn’t take away from the fun.

This is the second time I’ve used my walther and had zero issues either time. No question I’m holding the guns performance back!

What pissed me off a bit was that I messed up two of five stages from mental or procedure mistakes. In one there were six targets simply lined up with a few no shoots various cover areas marked in. We were supposed to engage in order from either direction, first freestyle, then strong hand, then off hand. Each pass was limited to six rounds in a mag. 20 feet ish. Pretty simple right?

I was toward the bottom of the lineup so watched a bunch of guys go before me. So what did I do... the timer goes up, i I had a good smooth draw, lined up the first quickly and proceeded to accurately double tap the first three targets before the hollers to do single shot got through from the other shooters. Gah!! I finished the stage shooting well but had my score fairly but sharply deducted.

My take away is to try not to over focus on execution to the exclusion of higher brain function.

Anybody else shooting this weekend ?

Crab

I've been shooting IDPA for only 19 years, and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their gunhandling skills.
Some buddies and I used to do a weekly podcast for shooters new to competition, and all episodes are available on youtube.
The first 20-30 episodes covered guns, gear, rules, techniques, etc.
It's called Powerfactor Show if you want to check it out.

"...competition shooters..." There are all kinds of competitions that don't involve all that running around. Remember that none of the shooting games have anything to do with self-defence, combat or anything remotely like any of that. They're games, period.
Don't worry about placing. Go because match shooting, of any kind, is great fun. Placing will come.
"...No condescending dixxs..." One of 'em will be along. Every club has at least one. Ignore 'em. I've seen guys who rarely shoot. Do little, but want to be in charge anyway.
By far most competitive shooters are like the one's you've met. Most will bend over backwards to help a new shooter too. Usually includes letting you try their kit and guns for the asking. You don't always have to ask either. Shooters like to talk about and show off their toys.

Doing a club match at bend in the river near niles, mich. signed up to shoot cdp with my XDE 45.

I’m thinking I will alternate matches doing ssp with my walther ppq 9mm.

It’s interesting the way the divisions are defined. I can use my walther only in ssp or esp if I wanted even though I have no mods. As far as ic am tell from reading the rule book and talking to more experienced idpa-ers I can use my xde for ssp, esp, cdp, ccp, and even bug!

I cc the 45, so the ccp or cdp make the most sense to me. I don’t think it’s practical or comfortable to carry my full frame walther measuring out at over 8”. Anyway, just seems curious.

I’ll let you know how I do.

Anybody else shooting this weekend?

Crab

The divisions were defined when "stock service pistols" were often steel-framed, DA/SA pistols, and that action type was considered enough of a disadvantage, compared to SA, that they needed the "protection" of their own division.
Now, with striker-fired guns having essentially the same trigger action as SA guns, SSP is "ESP without a magwell", and not really deserving of a separate division.

SSP should be only for guns with double-strike capability, with striker-fired guns lumped together with SA guns in ESP, CDP, and CCP, if, in fact, action types define the divisions.

A SSP shooter probably wouldn't recognize a box stock gun if he saw one at a match.
A Production shooter wouldn't recognize a production line gun if he saw one anywhere.

2015 IDPA BUG Limits:
- Barrel Length <= 3.60”
- Size 7.25” x 5.5” x 1.375”
- Weight 29.00 oz

Finalized 2017 IDPA BUG Limits (version 2017.2):
- Barrel Length <= 3.50”
- Size 6.50” x 4.625” x 1.375”
- Weight 26.00 oz

Springfield XDe 45:

WEIGHT 23 oz. ok

HEIGHT 5" w/ Flush Magazine, 5.25" w/ Magazine X-Tension[emoji769]. Not ok

BARREL 3.3" Ok

LENGTH 6.75" Not ok

Width. 1.3”. Ok

So, the answer is... my XDe 45 conformed from the earlier 2015 specs, but is now non-conforming pursuant to 2017 rules.

So I am humbly corrected.

Yet it somewhat vindicates the point I’m trying to make about the way idpa categorizes, or until recently, the guns.

Crab

Dab, how do you start, DA with safety on or off, locked and cocked safety on, or what ?

I have been starting L&C even though I don’t carry that way.

Crab

Generally if you are shooting cocked and locked you should be shooting ESP. I am not aware of Beretta 92s being able to do that.

MisterCrabby

I've been shooting IDPA for roughly 4 years, usually 3 matches a month. When I first started I was told 4 things by our club chairperson...
1) Be safe
2) Have fun
3) Shoot for accuracy
4) Speed comes in time

First thing to remember for score improvement is to eliminate your procedural penalities. Scores can also be improved by moving faster as in reloads and moving from one shooting position to another. You don't always have to shoot faster to score lower. Always be safe and try to avoid the DQ, but when it happens, learn from it and move on. Our club chairperson also told me there are two types of people that shoot IDPA, those that HAVE been DQ'ed and those that WILL be DQ'ed.

Last edited:
Lab hound, sounds like good advice.

Did a club match again at bend if the river. warm and muggy. Tougher stages than last time.

Shot my xde 45 in cdp. It’s a really good piece. Not one malfunction since it came out of the box. I’m over 1000 rds. The trigger needs some tightening. Will do at some point when it becomes the limiting factor relative to my skill.

I took a procedural in one stage today. Failure to engage target from cover. I clearly got the shot off before the cardboard did, but whatever. [emoji12] Shot middling. Had fun. Idpa is definitely like golf. It comes and goes!

We had a guy in our squad get dqd. He tripped on a raised position marker, stumbled, the muzzle broke 180, then he dropped his gun.

Anybody else shoot this weekend?

So, the answer is... my XDe 45 conformed from the earlier 2015 specs, but is now non-conforming pursuant to 2017 rules.

So I am humbly corrected.

I shot a compact .45 in BUG for over ten years, but now I'm shooting a REALLY compact 9mm. :)

Back