IDPA newbie

AndABeer

Tonight I will be going to OBSERVE my first IDPA match. This is in preparation for jumping in there and actually trying it myself. I should perhaps save this question until after I see it but I was wondering if there is a school of thought as to what is the best division to start out in. I have the equipment that will allow me to shoot in any of the five divisions. I guess I will be told to use my carry gun which at the point in time is a G35. Altough I have been wrestling with carrying my Wilson or my HP. Any tips to increase my enjoyment would be greatly appreciated.

I would stick with your carry gun. That is what IDPA is about. Make sure you have a good holster, mag pouch, and at least 3 mags(5 is better). Practice drawing and dry firing. Like most action pistol events, the newbies will be assigned to more experienced shooters. By the way, there are only 4 divisions in IDPA. Your Glock is in SSP, your 1911 in CDP, and your HP in ESP. If you have a revolver, it would be SSR. Allways maintain a safe muzzle direction.

[This message has been edited by 9x45 (edited October 02, 2000).]

AndABeer,
I recommend you take equipment tonite so you can go ahead and jump in. It's a lot of fun. Most clubs welcome new shooters and give assistance getting them started out right. Shoot the gun you are most comfortable with as long as it qualifies in one of the divisions. The pistols you mentioned are excellent choices for IDPA competition.

Gene hit it right on the head. Why watch when you can do it yourself? Since you carry the Glock, I assume you feel most comfortable with it. Even if you carry in an IWB, so what, go for it. If you got them, take 3 mags min., couple boxes of ammo and have some fun.

------------------
John

Back