IDPA New Shooter

KJr

I have been invited to shoot with a local IDPA chapter this weekend. The website does not help much. What can I expect?

The shoots are aimed at 'real life' shooting scenarios. Lots of movement, utilization of cover and a concealment garment, and an addictive level of shooting. Every club has its own flavor, so its hard to say exactly what to expect. I've seen everything from stand and mow down targets to hold on to the side of this Kaboda tractor while it tears around a stage...

The big thing for your first match is going slowly and safely. Emphasis on slowly! Hard to do something unsafe when you go slow if you know the basic rules of firearm safety.

Stick close to the vets, try not to step on anyone's feet and pay attention and you will pick things up quickly. Good luck and have fun, zac.

What can you expect?

First, take it slow. Don't try to shoot fast. Keep it safe.

For anyone that has not shoot while moving... let's just say your going to need to learn how to shoot all over again. Shooting on the move is so much different than just shooting at a regular range.

You'll be engaging multiple targets in many different directions while moving with reloading and shooting behind barriers.

Expect your blood to be pumping and sweaty hands. Focus. Take a deep breath and take it SLOW.

Where else can you shoot next to a Grand Master and he is willing to share all he knows to shoot better and have fun. I mean besides going to a course paying $$$$ to learn these secrets - it's unheard of....

IDPA has some good info - did you check this out?
http://idpa.com/dps_info.asp

Typically as a new shooter you'll go and go through a basic safety demo. Also they will check your gear to make sure its safe (holster and magazine pouches are good to go).

What you can really expect is that your pocket book will take a hit - all the equipment and guns you want to buy afterwards. :D

Overall, take it slow and have fun! Let them know this is your first time and be safe.

It was a Blast, no pun intended. The veterans were very helpful and made the experience one to remember. My friend/host was a huge help, Steve had good knowledge of what was happening and was glad to have me there.

I learned early that my 380 was not allowed and I only had 80 rounds for my 9mm. The last stage I borrowed a few bullets and shot very well. The SO (safety officer) said I could shoot again since the targets had not been pasted, since I was out of ammo, and late for an appointment, I kindly thanked them for a wonderful experience. The SO was very friendly and encouraged me to return another day.

The event drew a huge crowd, much more than anticipated, so the waiting and confusion was a slight damper, but as a newbie, I really didn't notice.

I highly recommend shooting in an IDPA event to everyone serious about your handgun and learning to use it properly.

"...veterans were very helpful..." Typical of most shooters no matter what the game. Just remember that IDPA and IPSC are shooting games and nothing more.

While it is true they are games, and not training, the gun handling skills involved and the problem solving while staying behind cover should be helpful in case the unfortunate goes down. The stresser of being on the clock, I doubt, is anything like the real thing, but at least its an added stress.

Its also a whole lotta fun!

They are "games" to a point....

Yes, they are games for competition but if that is all you see most people will be missing a useful tool.

First, there are not many places you can go "run and gun." Yes, there are funky rules here and there but most is to keep it a level playing field (Yes, it's a game) and also for safety.

Second, take the game out of it and learn the skills and hone what you need. If you are "self defense" focused then look at the multiple engagements, the sequence to best engage targets and why. Shooting using cover not just hanging in the wind. Reloading and continuing to shoot.

Third, its a heck of a lot of fun. Learn from Masters on how to shoot better (for Free?). I mean where else can you get that? Where else are you going to meet gun hobbist like yourself? People that enjoy shooting and also at the same time sharing that knowledge.

Lastly, if you think of it as a game - I'm going to assume you haven't really shot IDPA or USPSA (aka IPSC). It's a wonderful tool - keep it focused and stay out of the "gaming" side and focus on the self defense applications that suite you.

You can't do these things at a regular range - and for those that have their own range I'm sure you can travel the country to attend all those "tactical courses" too. For the average guy these action sports offer a tremendous avenue to practice and learn.

Just remember to keep it in perspective. If you want to "game" then go for it but go to learn some stuff you probably have never done (legally) and for sure... safely.

not sure about the level playing field as i shoot what i carry with factory ball ammo. the top gunners use longslide glocks, xd's, 1911's, with tuned triggers, etc. with low power reloaded ammo. i use it for a semblance of training, they are gaming.

Thats part of what makes it so good. Your both doing what you want and getting want out of it side by side at the same event.

Back