IDPA holsters

kix

Inactive
I am new to IDPA and looking for a holster for my Glock 17. I was looking at one from "Side Armor" It said it was approved for IDPA. What holters are recomended. And where do you find which ones are approved for IDPA?
Thanks

No holsters are specifically approved for IDPA, they did away with that a year ago.
Holsters must meet requirements given in the rule book.
If a belt holster, it must be a strong side holster vertical or with muzzle to the rear (FBI) cant, not adjustable while worn. It must hold at least some part of the gun within 3/4" of your body. It may not have a visible gap between holster and belt or form one between belt and body.

Looking at the Sidearmor website, I doubt the Modular would pass, but the Vertical Scabbard probably will. Also BladeTech, Comp-Tac, ReadyTac, Talon, and probably some others. The Uncle Mike belt holster does not pass, but the Paddle does.

I use an injection molded Blade-Tech for my Glock 35 in IPSC and IDPA.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Combo-Pak-Special-pr-897.html

Hard to beat that deal. $40 for a belt and paddle holster and a double mag pouch. I had an Uncle Mike's Kydex for a long time, but the Blade-Tech is a lot more flexible, so you can loosen it up a lot more for competition if you want to, but you can easily tighten it back up for carry. For IPSC I use the pair on a Bianchi Accumold duty belt. Works great! I've got a used Wilson Combat 1911 on layaway that comes with a Wilson leather-cover Kydex holster. I'll let you know how that works in a couple months.

About two weeks ago I ordered a horsehide paddle holster from Kramer Handgun Leather http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=18&categoryID=25 for my Sig and I am wondering if this will be acceptable for IDPA use. At the time I ordered it I had no idea that IDPA even existed but I think I would like to give it a try as participating in IDPA seams like a great way of gaining and maintaining good defensive shooting skills. I decided on a paddle holster as it appears to be easy to put on and take off which I will need to do because the firm I work for has a policy excluding guns at the office. This holster was also described as providing a "tight to the side" fit with a "high ride" which sounded good for concealed carry even it is only advertising.

I also ordered a single magazine holder but I will clearly need both more magazines and more holders for IDPA. What is a good number of holders and magazines to purchase? I can get factory mags in either 10 round or 12 round capacity. I currently have the two 10 round magazines that came with my gun.

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

Looks like it will pass for IDPA.

You only need two magazine pouches for IDPA, all you get is the one in the gun - which you can carry in your pocket until told to "Load and Make Ready" - and two on the belt for reload. You will not have to fire more than 18 shots in any one timed string of fire, but sometimes you will have a required reload that will have you use all three magazines you start out with. Or you might have a malfunction to correct.

More magazines is a convenience because you will sometimes shoot two strings or even two stages back-to-back; so it is good to have loaded magazines to just pick up and go again. Five will get you through any one stage of the Classifier and nearly any two consecutive match stages. Me? I carry six double stack or 12 single column magazines, all loaded the night before the match so I can pay attention to the layout instead of hurredly filling clips at the range.

You are limited to ten in the magazine plus one in the chamber to start a stage in IDPA. But the full capacity magazines are still a benefit, you can have one loaded with 11 to get to 10+1 with less gun handling than if you had only ten round magazines and had to chamber a round and then "top up." A 12 round magazine with 10 loaded is easier to seat when doing a Tactical Reload under a closed slide. Buy the 12s and use your 10s for the usual slidelock reload.

Jim,

Thanks for the information. I added a two magazine pouch to my leather order and will get some 12 round mags as well.

Best Regards,
Richard

Back