IDPA Guns

Jshaw

Hello all,
I have recently become interested in IDPA competition. They have a match once a month at my local private range. I have been trying to figure out which of my guns I could use. Ii have gotten several different answers as to what gun and what class. I have the following
Browning Hi-Power 9mm
Glock 17c 9mm
Colt goverment model .45
CZ 75b 9mm
I was hoping to get the information on what one gun i could use for all classes. Any info will be greatly appreciated

None of those guns could be used in all classes. The only kind of gun that will work in all auto classes is a DA or safe action .45, since CDP is .45 ACP only.

The CZ will work in SSP and ESP.

The Glock cannot be used because it is compensated.

The Colt .45 will work in ESP (single action trigger) or CDP.

The HiPower will only work in ESP (single action, and not .45).

An all class pistol would be something like a Glock 21, HK UPS .45 or Sig 220 .45.

Keep in mind that every class shoots the same course. The classes exist for scoring purposes and have nothing to do with the shooting. If you want to shoot more than one class, why not switch off between your CZ, BHP and Colt? Get better with all three.

Don't mistake "class" for "division"; the former is a measurement of your skill level, and the latter is the how different gun types are sorted.

I basically have the same questions as the original poster and some of the smae guns that I would use, i.e.

BHP 9MM w/adj. sights
CZ-75B
Springfield 1911A1 w/ adj. sights
Sig P228

Are adjustable sights allowed in IDPA? If not then I guess its between the CZ and Sig and if I wanted to shoot .45, then I'd have to get another gun. Correct?

Last edited:
Sure adjustable sights are allowed. All of the guns you list can be used in one division or another. Good luck.

BHP 9MM w/adj. sights ESP if SA; SSP if DA model (Circa 1980's)
CZ-75B SSP or ESP
Springfield 1911A1 w/ adj. sights CDP if 45acp any other caliber ESP i,e 38 Super, 9x19 etc
Sig P228 SSP or ESP

Standard adjustables are allowed no Ghost Ring sights period

Thanks guys. I also have an HK P7 PSP and P7M8 I can throw into the mix, but I'd rather stick with the others for this type of shooting. I shoot the BHP the best, followed by the HK's, CZ and then Sig.

Go with your BHP. Especially if its the gun you shoot the best.

Bring LOTS of magazines. You will be needing them all. :D

If you have a carry gun, why not use that instead. Or at least dont neglect it from IDPA. It's the best way to become proficient for what your carry gun is for.

You don't NEED a lot of magazines.
You are limited to one in the gun and two on your belt for any one string of fire. More is better but not necessary. An old clunker for the "barney bullet" to load the chamber with, then seat a mag with 8 or 10 depending on division will save some manipulation. I go to a local shoot with 12 1911 magazines including the barney and one with orange follower with six rounds in it in case there is a stage calling for download.

Back