IDPA and the 686

ldgat

Inactive
Hi Guys, I have recently purchased a used 4" 686 and would like to use it for IDPA. I would love to have a 625, but all I could find had 5" barrels and IDPA is going to a 4" maximum barrel length in October of 2002. My question is about the grips. What are the best or most used grips that will allow a high grip. It has Pachmyers on it now, but they really dont fit my hand very well. Also, what are the better speed loaders for competition? Thanks in advance.

Go with Hogue grips, wood or rubber.

People are using Safailand Comp 3 speedloaders with the 686 and loading as fast as a 625 using moon clips. Maybe it's not in the spirit of the game but I hear someone at IDPA headquarters uses the Comp 3 loaders.

The 625 is available in a 4" Mountain Gun. The light weight really allows muzzle lift with major power loads. The twisting motion will give you a blister on the trigger finger. You will be happy with the 686 for IDPA, good choice.

IDPA is rapidly becoming as silly as IPSC. It's mis-named. Should be LICWPSS, for Luddite-based International Concealed Weapon Permit Snob Society, or LICK-WHIPS.

Please explain the no coned barrel rule--one MUST shoot an M1911 which has an antiquated barrel bushing system, which may ultimately be a very minor reliability-reducing part system.

The list of silliness goes on. My car gun was a 6-inch .357 Mag revolver back in my college days. But IDPA won't let me practice with MY defensive handgun because of some "level the playing field" rationale which actually reduces casual shooter participation. Strange how implementation of that "anti-equipment race" rule can still keep shooters out of the game.

They lost me (well, they never actually 'had' me) when I e-mailed Wilson about using my 5.5" Redhawk(s) and was told "too big".

Just shoot IPSC/USPSA and have fun. I can use all my centerfire guns in one class or another, and I ALWAYS win if I'm shooting!
(It is a bit hard competing with my 7.5" 357 Redhawk 'cause it takes so long to draw...)

i shot a 686 for a while, super guns, one very good fellow shoots with us ( master in SSP) and has used a 686 for years.

as for IDPA, i have a super bunch of guys where i shoot. as for bill wilson, i have never met him. ken hackathorn frequents our club and is a great guy, actually the one who shoots with comp 3's. i even managed to beat him once in SSP division!!! :-) once, just once,but it was a big victory for me.

i say shoot what you have, have fun with it, i have a friend who carries a 1911 "carry comp) from S/A i have thought about having him shoot an IDPA match and just crossing out the divisions.

Back