IDPA 1911 Magazines

NAKing

I will be using a 4" 1911 for IDPA. It comes with a standard seven round magazine. Should I buy eight round magazines for replacement even though they will stick out past the grip, or buy more seven rounders?

Thanks!

You have to use the same capacity for the whole match, just so your aware of that. I don't think just starting out it matters all that much. A lot of the stages at my club's matches are only six shots and the longer stages are more than nine rounds so you'd have to reload either way.

Start out with what you have, but you will soon realize going to class maximum(8rd) will have some advantages. There are still times you want less for better stage planning, so you learn retention reloads.

Enjoy!

You can get 8 rounders that do not stick past the end of the grip.

Edited to add: When you say a 4" 1911 I assume you are talking about a Commander type 1911.

Assuming that a 4 inch 1911 means commander sized, than yes, I would get the 8 round magazines. That extra round can be awfully helpful on some of the 6 shot stages, especially if you end up dropping a shot into the C (-3) zone.

It's a Springfield Champion. Looks like I'll be getting the eight round magazines. They don't necessarially extend past the grip? I guess I assumed they did since the seven round magazine fits flush. Logic would lead me to believe that an additional round would require a longer magazine, which would extend slightly.

Right now I use a .357 mag revolver, which is a PITA. It is fun though. Especially those reloads. :)

Back