Idle Hands..........

test drive

Been into handgun shooting for 30 some odd years and every now and then I get the itch for a BP revolver. Ill get a 58 or 51, 60 whatever I find at the pawn shop or yard sale but never found one that was a keeper mainly because I dont like the 7 and 8 inch bbls that are period correct. Well a few months ago Cabelas had a nice 1860 color case frame army in the bargan cove CHEAP so I got it. A few weeks ago I recieved a 1851 sheriff brass frame in .44 for birthday. Both are Pietta so one thing led to another and now I have a 1860 case color army with a 5 inch 51 bbl and a navy grip. and a 1860 brasser. love the shorty and is 2 inch high on POI with a very smooth action. Think I found my keeper. Boy , Pietta is putting out a realy nice gun these days.

Probly not a new thing to you since you have been at this for a while...

But "mission creep" (the gradual accumulation of more and more firearms) is noticeable in BP revolvers since they are so darned cheap.

I have been shooting off and on for quite a long time. (First BP pistol purchased sometime in the mid seventies and was a "kid shooter" of Model 94, Mosin Nagant, 2 Arisakas and a coupla .22s before then.) But I sold off everything about 20 years ago to appease an overbearing primadonna wife who is now a thankfully ex wife. Thenm about 7 years ago I started back at the shooting way of life. I am now up to more than 100 firearms. And no junk.

There is also the 1862 Colt Police with various period correct" barrel lenghts from 4.5",5.5" and 6.5", which is one of the most beautiful revolvers ever made. 5 shots, though.

There are so many beautiful revolvers from the era, though, that it is hard to choose (and expensive to just buy them all).

Both the manufacturers are putting out some nice guns these days. My Uberti Remington NMA, with just a touch of filing away the front sight, shoots basically to the point of aim at 25 metres - the only accuracy problem is me!

Back