Identifying A 7x57 Mauser

jidavies

Inactive
looking for some help to identify what it is?

It’s very similar to a Short Spanish Mauser 7x57 mm

It has a 19" Barrel and the Bolt has no known Markings on it and neither does the Rifle have any Crest Identification marks on it. The serial number is 8609 -Looks to have a L marking before the serial number

The Rifle also doesn’t have its original stock .I have included some pictures to hopefully help Identify what exactly is this Rifle, model, and who made it, and anymore information. Also would like to know were I could get an original or after market stock that is made for this rifle.
Thank you

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 915
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 776
It appears to be a Spanish Model 1895 carbine. I don't know of any source for original stock and handguard, but you might try www.gunpartscorp.com on the off chance. Trouble is that you also would need the hardware to go along and that is missing and may be hard to get. Also, it looks like someone bent the bolt in preparation for mounting a scope and to restore that would require a new bolt body.

IMHO, the rifle is what it is, and to try to "restore" it would cost more than the $200 or so they bring on the market. You would be better off locating an original carbine, and then selling that one as a hunting rifle.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I know the chances of replacing the original stock would be difficult, An aftermarket stock would be great, this stock is cracked on the right side in the back, other than than, the gun shoots great. It also was owned by my late uncle, so there is sentle mental value to it. I do want to thank you again for looking, there are a lot of similar Mausers, and I was having a difficult time.

spanish civil gaurdia rifle 1895 mauser small ring

that rifle should have import marks on the muzzel end of the barrel many of these rifles were rechamberd to 308 win when spain joined nato,if it wasnt converted it would be a 7x57 mauser,but if you still cant find markings thke it to a local guns shop an ask for ammo for it ,if they want to make the sale they will help you,the added gas check usualy means it was re chamberd to 308 win, p s these rifles are 4 sale in originanl configuration 4 around 125 dollars ,go to samco arms :cool:

Last edited:
FWIW, If you remove the bolt and look at the bolt face, it's outline will tell which model you have.

A Model 1893 bolt face will be round, when viewed from the front.
A Model 1895 bolt face will have a flattened or squared-off bottom edge, when viewed from the front.

A Model 1893 bolt face will be round, when viewed from the front.
A Model 1895 bolt face will have a flattened or squared-off bottom edge, when viewed from the front.
That is exactly backwards, 1895s have round bolts, 1893s have flat-bottom bolts.
Also, it looks like someone bent the bolt in preparation for mounting a scope and to restore that would require a new bolt body.
Modelo 1893 rifles had straight bolts, Modelo 93/16s had straight bolts, Modelo 1916 short rifles and 1916 Carbines had bent bolts.

many of these rifles were rechamberd to 308 win when spain joined nato,if it wasnt converted it would be a 7x57 mauser,
Modelo 1916 and Modelo 1943 rifles and carbines were converted to 7.62mm NATO, lower operating pressure than 308 civilian ammo (51K psi vs 62K psi). Don't fire commercial 308 ammo, use 7.62X51mm NATO ammo. FWIW, many, many of these rifles were imported before Spain joined NATO.

You can buy a stock at Richards Micro-fit Stocks
www.rifle-stocks.com

Regardless of the original bolt handle, that one has been altered for a scope at some time, probably by forging as the knob looks original.

FWIW, I don't recommend firing any .308/7.62x51 in any rifle originally made for 7x57. I know it is done and a rebarrelled rifle should be strong enough for the NATO standard at least. But some conversions, mainly Chilean, were done by drilling out the chamber and installing a new chamber before reboring and re-rifling. Not, IMHO, a good conversion, though it was intended by the Chileans only for use in an emergency.

Jim

civil guardia carbine unsafe ?

THERE IS NO WAY,AN IMPORTER,OR COMMERCIAL AMMO MAKER IS GONNA ALLOW THIER PRODUCTS,TO JOIN TOGETHER TO CREAT A UNSAFE CONDITION,SPANISH ROUNDS,ARE SOME OF THE HOTTEST,HIGH PRESSURE ,CARTRIDGES ANYWHERE, THE WAY THEY DO IT IS,THEY LOOK AT PRESSURE,VELOCITY,AND PRODUCE PLAIN JANE AMMO SUCH AS CORE LOCT ,SUPER X,IVE SEEN THOUSANDS OF THESE ROUNDS FIRED THRU ONE OF THEESE FINE LITTLE RIFLES,AND AS LONG AS THERES NO SIGHNS OF HIGH PRESSURE, OR BAD HEADSPACE ,U R OK WITH STANDARD FACTORY AMMO.:cool:

Back