Identify this unknown rifle....perhaps a mauser??

SVPPB

Inactive
Okay so I was digging around my garage last week and I found this very very odd looking rifle. The bolt wouldnt work so I let it soak since last monday. I went ahead and took it apart in hopes of finding a serial number or some identifying marks.

Im at a loss on this one guys! Im pretty sure its a mauser, I mean the action and everything resembles that of mausers, but it has some of the weirdest markings ive ever seen.

So I leave it to the pros to help me figure out what in the world I have.

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9280.jpg

DSCF9272.jpg

The crest or maker marking has been ground off. All that remains is a "D" seen above.

DSCF9276.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

Closest thing to a full number set on the gun.
DSCF9252.jpg

close ups of those strange symbols
DSCF9266.jpg

DSCF9267.jpg

DSCF9273.jpg

DSCF9255.jpg

I can take more pictures if needed, but for the most part there are no other numbers I have found on the rifle or stock. I asked my father about it and he said he got it from my grandfathers archery shop...supposedly, my grandfather came into possession of it between 1950-1975. Thats the best I can do on its history, sadly my grandfather died before I was born, otherwise I might have more about it.

It is a Mauser 98, mismatched numbers make it a parts gun. The barrel is marked for the S bore (.323"). I believe the lion with the raised sword is a Czech proofmark, but I am not positive. From the pictures it is hard to tell, but it almost looks like it's been through a fire.

Its just rusty, and i didnt clean all the oil back off so theres rust build up in different spots. I just pulled it out of the bath to snap some pictures. Any clue as to the strange symbols?

The strange symbol look like hand engraved Hebrew writing to me, your gun might have done a stint during the first Israel war when they imported a lot of Czech guns.

That lion looks like the ones the Norwegians put on M1911A1 pistols, but the pics or their K.98k rifles don't show it. The "D" could be the end of DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND depending on where it is on the receive ring.

Jim

Wow, that lion crest is pretty darn close to whats on the bottom of the barrel. Looks like I have quite the mutt, when it comes to mausers haha.

An electrolysis tank can be a very handy tool in situations like yours. It "magically" dissolves the rust in just a few hours. It is not hard to make from item usually found around the house.

Back