Identify this Mystery gun, Laugh at my Stupid Misadventure

Hand_Rifle_Guy

One day I walk into this local gunstore not two days before my birthday. Wandering around looking in the cases I espy with my little eye a gun beginning with the letter "S". Aha! says I, an old top-break Smith! Priced a mere $85! But no, I was fooled! It's camoflage worked at first, but on closer inspection, it let me down.

What I'd found was a "Secret Service Special" as rolled on the side of the barrel, no identified maker, 5-shot top-break revolver chambered for "38 SMITH & WESSON Ctg" as marked on top of the barrel in LARGE letters. the grips have 'SSS' at the top in a blatant rip-off of the S&W script logo, which is initialy what caught my eye in the first place. As hoped by the builder, I suppose. This little gun has deep, shiny blue finish, locks up tight, and is dead-to-rights accurate if you can see the tiny little sights. This little guy wants to be a Smith so bad, you can smell it. It downright OOZES wishful thinking!
Due to it's unknown heritage, I initially passed it up. I almost never surreneder to impulse buys, but this revolver stuck in my head, and it was my birthday, after all, so four days later I was back, and plunked down $107, with tax and backround check included, so I could take it home.

I walk in ten days later to discover the damn PRK DOJ has BOUNCED my friggin backround check because, get this, my driver's license expired two days before I tried to buy this gun! Those a-holes won't let you buy a gun unless you have valid, up-to-date I.D.! This is, like, handgun #17 for me, but no, I'm the same as a felon according to Awsome Bill Klinton and Sarah Brainless-lady! If that's not an infringement of my 2nd Ammendment rights, I don't know what is! :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :barf: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fine. I go down the street to the D.M.V., pay the ten bucks, pass the silly written test, get my license renewed, and head back to the gunstore the next day. Gotta fork out another 15 bucks for another backround check, GRRRR!!! But NO!! The blasted gunstore won't even run the check until I can show them the actual-factual new license with the right date on it ! AAAARRGH!!! My holographic expired picture I.D., all of three days outta date, along with my temporary license, is insufficient for these clowns! Telling them that DOJ couldn't see it, and that now it would clear the computer, wasn't good enough for them. Jeezum Crow, I was like to have an apoplectic fit!

SO, two weeks later, steaming new license in hand, I shell out another 15 bucks to re-run my check, and go away for ten days so I won't shoot the guys behind the counter. I come back, pick up my neat little birthday gun, and tell the idiots that never again will I darken their door, nor line their pockets with my hard-earned cash, for such piss-poor customer service. I'm a friggin gun-owner. It's not in my interest to turn these bozos in to the ATF. But some days, you just see red, I didn't turn them in, as they really hadn't done anything wrong, per se. It's more on the idiocies associated with the misery that is the PRK. :rolleyes:

Now isn't that the stupidest story you've read in a while?

But I digress...

There's no name on this little gun, so who made it? It looks just like an Iver-Johnson, but lacks the "hammer the hammer" safety rig. And it's by no means a piece of crap. It's really well built! And amazingly accurate. Elmer Kieth was right when he said the .38 S&W was a good round. It's relative weakness didn't bother him in the face of good performance.

The mystery remains: Who made my birthday gun? We had to leave the manufacturer space on the form blank. Ooooh, scary...:rolleyes:

I was gonna suggest that it might be an Iver Johnson. I almost bought one myself about 10 years ago just like the one you're describing: a top-break, blue steel 2" revolver in .38 S&W. I've always been partial to top-breaks, particularly in these little guns, and I wish some one would start making them again.

You're right, the .38 S&W is not a bad little cartridge-it's not a .38 Special, but it works OK for the little guns and has minimal recoil. It's not a high-tech cartridge-you're simply throwing a 200 grain chunk of lead at about 500-600 fps at your target. Controlled expansion? Forget it!!

As far as the gun store folks go, I can't say that they treated you with any great respect, but in terms of the DL requirement and the necessity for them to see the new license, fact is that they are doing exactly what is required of them under state and federal law. If they fail to get your current DL as ID, a horde of DOJ agents and other associated folks could potentially be down on them in nothing flat and shut them down. The mere display of a certain California-banned firearm in a local gunstore here in Sacramento was enough to get the store closed for (I believe) six months while the owner wrangled with BATF. Even now, about three years later, they are prohibited from selling handguns.

So, I guess I'm saying that I understand and sympathize with the pain in your nether regions and with what you had to go through to get this gun, but I also understand that the store owners run a very highly regulated business which can be shut down for even minor infractions and I believe that they were erring on the side of caution.

That's what we put up with as gun owners in the State of California. If I didn't feel as if I was running away from the problems, I'd move after retirement, but the truth is I'll probably stay here if for no other reason than to be a pain in the ass to the dinks in the Legislature who keep trying to restrict my rights.

And look out other states-as it goes here in California, it often happens elsewhere later down the road. Be vigilant.

Standard Catalog of Firearms says:

Secret Service Special: Trade name used by the Rohde-Spencer Company of Chicago on inexpensive pocket revolvers.

No more, I doubt Rohde-Spencer was the maker, more likely just a dealer selling guns made for them by IJ, H&R, Folsom, etc.

I had a Secret Service Special about 1965.Bought it from a guy who was in 9th grade.I was maybe 15.Country boys and things were a LOT different. It was nickel I think. 38S&W. Didn't work too well and I sold it back to him for $5. The trigger was messed up.First time I've heard of one since then.

HRG...........you probably know but have it anyway.

Care must be exercised when letting others shoot .38 S&W

On many of the critters the chambers do NOT restrict longer cartridges. Sooo, many of them will chamber and fire .38spec and a few will even fire .357mag. Not healthy for little ol guns. Or gunners.

Sam

The cylinder is much to short to fit a .38 special. I'm not to worried about it. Besides, nobody shoots this gun but me. As it is, even I don't shoot it that much. I bought it cuz I like older guns over newer ones. Plus it was really cheap. And my birthday.:D

My next intention for it is a cut-out book-case. Got this book called "The Saturday Night Special". It's just big enough to hold it. Makes it easy to find in a pinch, which is when you need it.

Top-breaks are a lot of fun. I've got a nickel plated H&R .22 that's been in the family for close to 100 yrs.

A Google Search turned up the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret Service Special (1917-1923)

While NONE are Antiques, here's some useful info. Three different companies made the 'Secret Service Special' revolvers. Here's how to tell the difference:

SSS by Iver Johnson
manual safety on frame;
frame-mounted firing pin

SSS by Meridan Firearms
NO manual safety;
frame-mounted firing pin;
odd "scrolled" front sight

SSS by H&R
NO manual safety;
hammer-mounted firing pin

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link: http://www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/ij-antiq.htm

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

It would be the H&R, as I know what that "scroll" front sight looks like from one of my other top-breaks, and it ain't got one. And it has a hammer-mounted firing pin.

Thank you all for your help and co-miseration! ;)

Of course, I could have done a Google search on this, but it didn't even occur to me. New at this Net stuff. Lesson learned.

BTW, I have actually forgiven the store for this incident, (It was in 1998, and none of the guys who gave me the song-and-dance work there any longer.) and I really would rather see them go through the motions than get shut down. There aren't enough gunstores as it is. I've gone in once, just lately, but I haven't bought anything from 'em since. (Got a dealer with whom I've got a more personal working relationship.) Mostly their prices stink, and they don't usually have the class of guns I'm most interested in. (Read: old.)

STUPID STATE! :mad: :rolleyes:

Additional: I've never seen a manual safety on an old revolver, except the old German "Comission" revolvers from the 1880's. D'you suppose that's a reference to the transfer-bar set-up on the Iver? My "Owl-head" .32 doesn't have one. I dunno.

Anyone else seen such a thing?

Hmm, maybe by "manual safety on frame" he meant "Safety Hammerless" which was an old Iver Johnson trade mark. There's the S&W lemon squeezer, it had a grip safety. IIRC some makes of the Webley revolver had a manual safety. The basic principles of a revolver defy the need for any kind of manual safety... that one thing I like about'em. I dunno. Try sending an email to the guy who authored that Iver Johnson web page. -- Kernel

Back