Identify this Enfield?

tobnpr

Perusing one of the local Pawn shops today in search of "whatever'...
They had a couple of Enfields. One had been "sporterized"....a shame because it had a really interesting stock.

The other looked to be in G to VG condition. They had the bolt out of it but I did get a pic of each side of the receiver.

Any info., including collectible value range and what else to look for would be appreciated. I need to add an Enfield to the milsurp collection already...

Enfield

I am just a little more than a novice, but from the location of the rear sight, it is a Mark 4 Lee Enfield which is a later WW II model. There is a lot of info that can be ascertained from the marking on the metal & perhaps the butt stock. First go to Wikipedia that has a good bit of information itself.

Last edited:
actually it would be a number 4, mark 2. post ware production under contract, to whom? I don't know enough to say. tikirocker or wogpotter will be along shortly and will likely know.

I should have looked for an import stamp...wonder if that E.C.C.S.A on the left side of the receiver. Can't quite make out what's under it.

I found this on the import stamp under the model number. It was imported by ECCSA of Pennsauken, New Jersey. It was originally a No. 4 Mk 1. I agree that it looks to have been upgraded to MK 2 standard post war.

TK

Other than the usual of checking the bore/crown best I can, anything else to look for ?
Assuming it checks out- what would be a "fair" offer for both sides?

It seems to have been "scrubbed" of the original markings & re engraved.
That makes it hard to ID what it was originally.
The small cross screw just in front of the wrist and gives a positive ID as either one made as a No4 Mk2, or converted during a rebuild from a No4 Mk1 to a No4 Mk1/2 (as the conversion was called.)
The rear sight is a bit of a puzzle. All the ones made as a Mk2 had the screw micrometer, not the slider, so I'm guessing its probably a conversion.
Can you angle a light shallowly along the receiver? That would help pick out the very light details of the original markings.
Check for matching bolt number (hopefully not scrubbed, but if it is be cautious it's probably "Force matched") which is the polite way of saying just shoved in there & not really matching!

I just saw a 1949 #4 at Cabela's today on the used rack, they were asking close to 400 on it. Electro penciled on the receiver, if that helps with pricing.

Back