Identify this 22

drew747

Can anybody tell me what model Winchester this is? It is a 22LR.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0289-r.jpg
    IMG_0289-r.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0290-r.jpg
    IMG_0290-r.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0296-r.jpg
    IMG_0296-r.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 114
Model 1885

That is a model 1885 Highwall musket.
"Musket" refers to the style of stock on the rifle, Winchester made both highwall and lowwall rifles with this type of stock.
Your gun also looks like a take-down rifle (breaks into two parts for easier packing). I haven't seen that before in a musket, but I am far from an expert on these.
Nice rifle!

It appears only the base of the rear flipup peep sight still exists. It would certainly be worthwhile to find a replacement, maybe it is a Lyman or something that would be fairly easy to acquire a replacement for. There are folks that sell new and used metallic sights for old Winchesters and the like. Would make a fun shooter. How is the bore condition? It would be nice to have a Winchester collector or expert look at it to get a really good assessment from a hands on inspection, but he probably would try to buy it from you!

1shooter wrote

'Your gun also looks like a take-down rifle (breaks into two parts for easier packing). I haven't seen that before in a musket'

1shooter was correct. I found a button and was able to twist it apart.

Attachments

• IMG_0297-r.jpg
    IMG_0297-r.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0299-r.jpg
    IMG_0299-r.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0301-r.jpg
    IMG_0301-r.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 56
Highly collectible rifle. I would not replace anything unless it was done at the factory and was returned with a letter of authenticity.

A period Lyman or Marbles sight will probably cost you between $100-$500, if what I've seen for other period Winchester tang sights is correct.

However, it should add far more than that to the value of your rifle.

I've seen Highwalls at gunshows going for as much as $3,500.

Back