Identify Pistol and Bayonet

sydneyswan

Can someone help me identify this pistol and bayonet.

Attachments

• DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00102.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 137
The pistol is a center hammer screw barrel derringer also commonly called a muff pistol because ladies carried them in those fur thingies called muffs they used to keep their hands warm

Probably from the 1830s to the 1860s. It appears to be a percussion gun, they were going the way of the dodo by 1870 when cartridge firearms became common.

If you are based in Sydney be aware that you do need a license under NSW law to possess that antique as it is considered just as dangerous by our idiot politicians as the modern semi autos in my safe.

These guys would be a good source of information, including how to get it licensed and registered.
http://www.antiquearmssociety.org.au/AboutUs.htm

My guess is that your bayonet is a Martini Henry socket bayonet, but it's very difficult to tell given that you don't give an overall picture of the bayonet and the scabbard.

Thanks for the information Radagast, however I live in SA, where the firearm laws aren't as strict. Mike Irwin, I have now attached a photo of the bayonet and its scabbard.

Attachments

• DSC00152.jpg
    DSC00152.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Radagast. It sounds like it is an 1852 Enfield bayonet, but i recieved it with a snider rifle (made 1874 and used by the Queensland black mounted police), which was given to me by my grandfather,but he was not sure if the bayonet belonged to that particular rifle. I wonder if the 1891 scribed on the scabbard would be the year of its manufacture or just a serial number?

No such thing as an 1852 bayonet.

It would be the Model 1853.

But...

Positive identification between the 1853, the 1876, and the 1895 socket bayonets is best done by measuring the length of the blade and the inside diameter of the socket.

If I had to hazard a guess, though, I would say the Model 1876.

It looks to have condition issues, including missing parts, and a badly compromised scabbard. Value isn't all that great in that condition.

The socket bayonets of that time frame would have fit the earlier Enfield Rifled Muskets, the Enfiend Snider Conversion Rifles, the Martini Henrys, and the early Lee Metfords.

Looks very similar to the type of pistol used in the Mcray, Mackillop-sub clan
conflict. However im not sure if you could verify this as most of the Mackillop's were wiped out and little is known about the Mcrays after the conflict. (Apologies on any misspelling of names)

Jezz

Back