Identify Mauser - help!

Moloch

So I got this Mauser 98 sporter, crest has been removed but there are still some markings on the underside of the receiver - can anyone at least make a guess about the possible origin of this Mauser? :confused:

Symbols I can identify: the numbers 9 & 2, a capital H, two f's, and a round mark that looks like a R or K with a J next to it.

mauserident_zpsc74ca547.jpg

Thanks! :)

It will be interesting to see if anyone can help, but I doubt it. Are there no other marks on the receiver at all? At the least there should be a serial number - if not, then you have another problem.

Jim

There is a 6-digit serial number on the receiver. What I forgot to mention is it has a ''mod 98'' on the side of the receiver, but the modern version of it, not the cursive letters.

I too doubt that anybody here can help me with this, but it does not hurt to ask. I wouldn't mind a surprise. ;)

If it says "Mod. 98" exactly that way it was a K.98k. Five digit numbers were sometimes used by Mauser/Oberndorf (1943) in lieu of the normal four digit and letter. I don't know why. If you post a good picture of the Mod. 98 marking and of the serial number, maybe we can confirm that guess as to the maker.

Jim

Cool, thanks! :)

I don't want to post the serial number, but here is a good pic of the ''Mod 98'' mark.
Oh, and I don't know if its relevant, the bluing of the spring of the bolt stop assembly is plum-colored.

mod98_zps2acc69bf.jpg

Last edited:
I can't be absolutely sure, but that looks like the marking used by Mauser at the Oberndorf factory (code byf) in 1943 and 1944, which would be consistent with a five digit serial number. I think you now know the maker, the original model and the approximate date.

Jim

Thats amazing, I really didn't not expect to get this much information about the 98 with that little information I provided, thanks again for the help! :D

Digits

I thought you posted earlier that your's was a 6 digit serial number.............James is talkin 5 digit. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I know of no K.98k with a 6 digit serial number. I think we need a picture, or at least better info.

Jim

Assuming that the guys at the Waffenfabrik could spell their company name right I'd say you have a Khyber pass special, or otherwise remarked gun. There are marks like old German proof marks on it, but they are in the wrong spot, especially the caliber mark should be on the barrel, not the receiver. And the U and B were stamped separately from the crown, that was a single stamp for real proof use.

Back