Identify Luger P08

Dave Honiball

I have in my posession a Luger P08.

The markings are the standard DWM marking on the toggle slide but the serial number does not match with the date on the weapon. All other markings seem to be standard as quoted in all the booKs I have researched on this weapon. The only other info I have is that it was taken as war trophy during the second world war, apparently in the concentration camps

Serial no: 287
Date: 1916
Military markings: 96R.9.23 (on the grip)

All the parts are numbered with the the last two digits of the serial number 87 except the magazine which has 28817 in the base plate of the mag. The base plate of the mag is original wood. All the parts have been checked and the 87 appears on all of them.

Where can spares be obtained for this firearm?

I have a Luger made about the same time as yours. It sounds like the magazine is not original to the gun. Is your descritption about a wooden base plate to the magazine correct? The mag on mine it typical of what you see in pictures with the rounded concave finger notch on each side made out of aluminum as part of a one piece magazine body.

Here is a link to the P98 Luger page. Maybe you can find some relevant information there...

http://www.interliant.com/eprise/ma...st/INIT_Host_WebHosting/INIT-pgIHWHIndex.html

Mag Description

the description is correct it is also alluminium with to pins locking it in in place with the finger slide on the side which is pulled down when loading. the serial number does not match that of the gun. i have also been able to obtain two alluminium mags with plastics base plates manufactured locally over here in south africa. gun shoots like a dream with the normal pitting in the barrel due to the corrosiveness of the german powders. otherwise the gun is original.

Back