IDENTIFY: French 20ga hammerless s/s

mwb

Inactive
I need info on this gun. I found french proof marks in the Gun Blue Book: 2 crown like emblems followed by "st etienne", these are stamped on the underside of the barrel. Also, under the same heading, it stated: circa 1897, double proof finished joined barrels. Also, under barrel and inside breech are the following: F.MAGAND, (M&P), 17.0, 21, 70, E.J, a crown with PT under it, choke rectifie', cannon de......, and double......( these last 2 I believe were poorly stamped ). It is a hammerless side by side, it is fully engraved, in above average condition, has sling rings, and the only external writing is the s for safety. Other than French made, i have no clue as to the manufacturer or of any possible value. Any knowledge or insight would be appreciated.

French proof marks are confusing but what you describe sounds like fairly modern markings. A picture would certainly help as the shape of the crown and the size of the letters changed over time.

Jim

I am away from my references for proof marks but this sounds like a typical French shotgun made by one Mseu. F. Magand, whoever he was.
I have a similar Verney Carron shotgun that is so marked in tiny letters in with the proof marks. Verney Carron was (Still is!) a well known French gunmaker and I don't know why they did not trademark my gun more prominently.

The "70" is probably the chamber length, 2 3/4", which dates the gun well after 1897 which is just the date that set of proof marks came into use.

Back