Identification of MG63

mashuhuri

Inactive
Recently I came across what I thought was a MG42. On closer inspection however, the left side plate was stamped GM63 1966, as well as with what appears to be a Reinnmetal manufacturing stamp and an eagle image. Can anybody please assist with more information on this weapon please?

Attachments

• Opt004.jpg
    Opt004.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Opt006.jpg
    Opt006.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 209
Seems to be some sort of post-war or transitional variant of the '42 before the MG1/MG3/MG74. The booster appears to be that of a 7.62x51 MG1 or MG3, but the feed tray is not the late MG3 type with clip attachment for the HK 50rd drums, and it has a wood stock (not the Styer green synthetic). Your best bet for a definitive answer would be to get your hands on a copy of Folke Myrvang's book "MG34-MG42 GERMAN UNIVERSAL MACHINEGUNS". Very cool find though.

Mg-63

Shaggy, thank you for the direction you have pointed me in. I got hold of the contact details of Mr Myrvang and forwarded all the information about this weapon to him for an opinion. I will most certainly share his reply with all of you.

Where u take that picture?

Where did you take that picture? Govt. firearms warehouse? Auction? Am just curious.

Back