Inactive
attachment.php

need help in identifying this single action gun.thanks.john

Attachments

• IMG_2631 (002).JPG
    IMG_2631 (002).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
The shape of the action and lever put one in mind of a heavily converted Martini single shot rifle.

Any marking on it??

Caliber? (approx.?) is the barrel rifled??

a total guess, might be something done by a gifted metal worker in India or Pakistan maybe a century ago...

Combination of the above. What caliber is it?

Presuming this is from the Indian sub-continent area, (India, Afghanistan and Pakistan essentially) it strikes me from the time of the Raj, British control over the region.

From the profile picture, it looks to be a altered Martini-something (which suggests British origin). Probably as mentioned by a 'local' gunsmith, as the finish looks a bit roungh, but not execrable. If, as I suspect, it is an original caliber (something the in the .450 diameter category) it is possible a 'howdah' pistol. Made intentionally for use if the tiger jumps in the 'howdah' (the passenger area on top an elephant) and a rifle is too clumsy. (Or the tiger just says 'Howdah!)

Second thought is a smaller caliber (perhaps .303) and the sponsor (buyer) thought that would be suitable defense against two legged predators.

It is not a 303. Something smaller. Will try other calibers.on barrel there is a proof mark.looks like a fish.will post photo.

Barrel is rifled

Being it was most likely handmade by a Kyber Pass gunmaker caliber could be anything. Try the various Martini calibers: .577/450 Boxer-Henry, .577/450 Martini-Henry, 11.43rx55r 11.43x59r, and 7.65x53.

I would also check to see if it chambers 7.62x39 as well.

"...not a 303. Something smaller..." That doesn't mean it wasn't made in the Khyber Pass.
Slug the barrel to get the calibre.

Maybe cadet action and 310 cartridge?
That's my guess. The shape of the action says Cadet. It could be a 310 or a 32-20 (a common conversion). Or it could be a 38/357, or just about anything a gunsmith could make up in their spare time. I will tell you, though, that the BATFE frowns upon conversions from rifle to handgun or shotgun to handgun.

Back