Identification Help!!

wick73

I got this from and elderly gentleman that wanted me to do some research on it and I need help guys. Please notice the three dots stamp on the main parts of the pistol. The only other markings are the C.S. markings and the #112 on all the other main components. Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• DSC05262_2.jpg
    DSC05262_2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC05278.JPG
    DSC05278.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC05260.JPG
    DSC05260.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 87
Can you post the other pics, please.

That gun does not seem to fit any of the known C.S. revolvers; naturally, I suspect a fake, but I would like to see more pictures.

The hammer looks like it was made for some kind of hammer block safety; I don't know of any original antiques that had such a thing or, for that matter, any percussion repros either. Several SAA repros had such a safety, though.

Jim

I'm with James K and the Haggenmiester

I am not an expert but the patina just doesn't look right for 150 years.

the cylinder doesnt seem right.
the holes in the hammer look like bad casting with bubbles.

whole thing doesnt seem to have correct proportions. perhaps the grip isnt right for an 1851.

IMO, the "three dots stamp" looks like some Brinell indentation hardness testing (introduced in 1900) was done on the various parts.

What is he background of the pistol? How did the elderly gentleman come by it? I'd ilke to see some closeups of the holster as well - all sides, front and back, flap,, flap hardware if possible. Additional close ups and a good overall of each side of he pistol would also be helpful. Thanks.

More pics.

Pics. The gun was unfortunately cleaned up a few years ago. I don't know anything about it really , That's why I have reached out to the experts.

Attachments

• DSC05258.JPG
    DSC05258.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC05259.JPG
    DSC05259.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05261.JPG
    DSC05261.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 34
More Pics.

If you need more pics I can email them to you the site is not letting me post any more? sorry guys

According to Confederate Handguns by Albaugh, Benet & Simmons its estimated that only 50-55 Shneider & Glassicks were made. 23, 6 and 12M are known. The barrel address reads Schneider & Glassick Memphis Tenn in one line and not stamped one letter at a time. 12M has an iron frame and a round dragoon style barrel.

Look under the rammer along the barrel for more markings. I looks more like a gun made from a kit. It looks like the right grip shape for a '51 Navy either Euroarms or ASM. Just about every gun I've seen has serial numbers on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard.

Dots, lines or Roman numbers were often used in the old days to mark fitted parts so they could be reassembled after finishing. Those marks would identify a gun within a batch and are often called "batch numbers" or "assembly numbers", separate from the serial number.

One interesting "feature" of that gun is the misalignment between the frame and the barrel and the frame and backstrap. In fact, it almost looks like the rammer is not aligned with a chamber, the disjointure is so pronounced, looking like parts from different makes of guns.

Jim

Back