Identification Help for a Artillery projectile

crcnance

Inactive
I've got pictures of a Artillery round I need help identifying. the only stamps I can find are AO on the side of the round.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 430
As best I remember 10 1/2" around measured with a flex tape and about 12" long. I'll take a caliper in tomorrow and measure in mm.

Last edited:
Do you know where it was originally recovered from? That might help narrow it down some.

One thing of note: Being it's 120mm class, it is possible that it is a naval round. The British had several variants of the 4.7" / 40 Elswick gun which were also used by the Japanese, Italians, and even the US in limited quantities and spanned quite a few years of use..

Ed: measure carefully as there is one possibility that I found that looks similar to that shell...it is 122 mm.

Last edited:
Reposting the pic so others can see.

attachment.php

Well 10.5 inches around, or circumference divided by Pi 3.14 equals 3.34 inches.

10.5 inches/3.14=3.34 inches in diameter.
25.4mm per inch so 3.34 inches*25.4 mm/inch or about 85 mm.

No clue as to where it came from other than it was bought at a auction. I've got a good set of calipers that I'll use this morning to get more exact measurements and post. Thanks for all of the replies. In the pictures the back side our botail has a threaded recess which leads me to believe it had a rear fuse of some sort the double set of rifle lands are also something I haven't seen which makes me think it's ww2 era and no earlier. As I mentioned before the only stamps visible are AO. They are inline of each other and I'll try to get a good picture of them also.

Well 10.5 inches around, or circumference divided by Pi 3.14 equals 3.34 inches.

10.5 inches/3.14=3.34 inches in diameter.
25.4mm per inch so 3.34 inches*25.4 mm/inch or about 85 mm.

I guess I should have double check my math! :o

Well as you could see I was so nervous about making a mistake I didn't post the info without 'showing my work' and after posting it went back and checked it again.

Does the rifling on the shell indicate it was meant for a smooth bore gun? Like a giant rifled slug?

NO. Not in this case. The "rifling" on a rifled slug is to allow the slug to compress and pass through any choke.

The artillery projectile here has "driving bands" to take the rifling and spin the projectile, while the rest of it is smaller than full bore diameter, to reduce pressure and give higher velocity.

there are a number of guns in the approximately 5" range, both land and naval artillery. I note that there doesn't seem to be a nose fuse. This could indicate the projectile was AP (shot), or that it was a training/practice round.

Right now, there isn't enough info to make anything more than a wild guess.

If an 85mm Rusky as the pictures indicate, it is AP with a small explosive charge.

Look at the bottom and see if there is a cavity or a plug or a (shudder) fuze.
The bands are engraved which means it has been fired but did not explode. Either practice without charge or a dud. For now.

One of the first pictures from the OP show an empty cavity, I was worried about being unexploded but the charge hole is empty.

attachment.php

The 85mm bore size was used in WWII Soviet artillery, tank guns and AA guns. There was probably a naval gun in that bore size as well, but that's not an area I am very familiar with.

Being a "Standard" Soviet bore size, the projectile in question could have come from ANY nation that used Soviet designs, and calibers. Which includes, directly all nations of the former Warsaw Pact, and all nations supplied by Communist China or the Soviet Union.

And it could date from slightly before WWII or any time since.

Concur on solid (AP) shot with a bursting charge cavity.

That shell could literally have been recovered anywhere east of western Europe, or anywhere in Africa or Asia.

that is IF it's a Soviet 85mm

Where did you measure the diameter??

On the driving bands? or shell body?

if on the shell body, measure on the driving bands and let us know what you get. 88mm?? 90mm??

Sometimes, like with small arms ammo, the actual diameter of the projectile is different from the name of the caliber.

Just as there are .30 caliber rifles all firing the same slug named .303Brit, 7.62x54R Russian and 7.7mm Jap, there are artillery bore sizes all firing the same actual size shells with different names. There were WWII 75mm, 76mm, and 77mm guns, US and British, all firing the same projectiles from different tanks and towed guns. Different cases, but the same projectiles.

It could be a Russian 85mm, but might not be...

Back