Ideal temp for casting pure lead balls ?

ConRich

Now that I have a PID to control the temp of my Lee furnace, I'm curious to know what temp range has been found to be most suitable for casting pure lead .454" balls. I'm using a Lee aluminum mold.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

TIA,
Rich

Too subjective

I don't think that I could seriously give you one as there are a number of variables and each of my runs, are seldom identical. I have a wide temp swing and even though yours should be tighter, it too will swing...... :confused:

1) I know that my pure lead melts at, or around 617-620DegF
2) I know when my casts are too cold, too hot or just right.
3) I know what a bad cast or good cast looks like.

I routinely reference the Lyman cast manual.
I usually only cast RB's and conicals.

Beagle333 does some fine looking work and hopefully he can be more specific or at least I hope so !! ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I'm running 780 on my (pure) lead pot -- RB, handgun/rifle conicals (slow speed), and Minnie balls.
(Just did a double handful of 58 caliber Lyman 575213-OS Minnies this evening)

Preheat the mold !! ;)

Thanks mehavey, I had played with the PID earlier this evening, started casting at 700* and worked up to 775* before I got rid of the wrinkles, this was with a well heated mold.

I never got frosty balls so I figured that I could go a bit hotter, but was curious about what other more experienced casters had found to be an appropriate temp range for casting pure lead balls of that size with an aluminum mold.

Thanks again for your help,
Rich

Back