Ideal load for 357 Winchester lever action?

Nakano

Greetings all. Please share your _experience_ with the ideal load for a 357/ 38 Winchester lever action in 16" Trapper barrel in terms of reliabilty, group size, terminal ballistics, etc. Intended for anti personnel and probably medium game. Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Nakano,

Hi. That Trapper of yours was intended to use handgun loads. For the record, I am a big fan of the 158 grain bullet, both FMJ and lead. A 158 grain metallic hollow point will serve both you needs for medium sized game hunting and the two legged varmits.

I would suggest that you start with 5.9 grains of Win 231. Do a little experimenting and work up your load to a max of 6.8 grains. Pick the load that gives you the best groups.
These loads should give you velocities in the 1250-1400 fps range depending on weight of the powder and length of barrel. And, will knock down whatever type of varmit you are aiming at.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Thanks Joe. But currently my reloading stuff is in storage. Have you a favorable factory load that you' ve tried? I guess I could do my usual testing with the various stuff at hand.

L8r,
Nakano

Back