Ideal Ar-15 From CQB to 600m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone has their ideal, do it all rifle. Mine is an 18" 223 wylde ar with a US Optics MR-10 1.8-10x using 77gt otm. Unfortunately it's a compromise rifle. Little heavier and higher low end magnification than I'd like but more use on the top end.

I think the ammo selection is more important than, piston vs di, or optic. 600 yards is pretty much stretching the capabilty of that round at that distance with a 2 moa rifle.

I also think you are giving a strong discredit to red dots in your article. Most professionals that aren't in shooting games use red dots for a reason. Stating that they are 25 yard optics is rediculous. If a 1x optic is a 25 yard optic then your 4x optic is only a 100 yard optic. I could shoot just outside 1 moa with my rifle with an eotech on it. It is more than capable out to a couple hundred yards and much faster and lighter. I personally agree with you in preferring more magnification but I'm not sure I would be shooting at someone with a rifle at a distance I couldn't make out if they were holding a cell phone or gun. It also depends on the situation but I think for most of us, if we are shooting at someone at 100 yards, they are probably shooting at us.

I like your set up for your rifle but claiming your rifle is capable of working with mud in the internals, saying 25 yards is the best distance for a red dot and claiming 5.56 is suitable for 600 yards is a little off base. Not that your entirely wrong in all of it but, there are many variables to make your claims misleading.

Just my opinion but a carbine that is easy to handle at powder burn range is going to be a compromise at 600 meters. Likewise, a solid 600 meter performer is likely to be longer, heavier, and harder to handle for extreme close range.
I'm confident in my 16" carbines to 300 meters but that confidence wains beyond 400.
Last summer, we were shooting at some clumps of grass in flood water out to an estimated 600 yards. Not many hits but close enough to cause concern (within 3' of intended target). I'd say that we'd have seen more hits if using a more solid support but this was real life shooting off crossed sticks. In comparison, shooting same carbine, ammo, and shooting sticks last week, I was hitting 100% at 300 meters on 8" swingers.

An 18" middy with 77 grain OTM rounds.

Optic would be an Elcan. 1-4x w/ ballistic reticle. Keep the stock standard M4 style, and add a lightweight keymod mid length handguard with two short rails at 3 oclock and 9 oclock, and 6 o clock with a verticle grip.

Would be my ideal CQB to 600 meter AR.

spam.jpg

I feel like a well shot 5.56 rifle with good ammo can handle 600m. I have shot m4 out to 500m with iron sights so i feel like a bit of magnification would take it out to 600m. I'm not saying its ideal but it would work.

The ability to qual on the KD range out to 500m (Semper Fi) does NOT equate to a 500m combat effective rifle. As posted above NOBODY is standing still, or even STANDING in a open terrain firefight.

So, its the ability to hit a prone or behind cover (boulder, tree, etc) adversary that is the range limit.

I view the M4 series of rifles as muzzle contact out to about 250-300 types of weapons. Beyond that a 240G or a DDM type rifle will do the job MUCH better.

Im certainly willing to put rounds out of an M4 at the longer ranges, but getting hits is problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back