idea for a limited/open & steel hybrid gun

SV_shooter

As I sit around not shooting, I start thinkin a lot. My new elbow is going to take about a year to heal, and I doubt I will be shooting any matches for at least 6 months. Gives me plenty of time to have one of the super smiths build me a new gun with my new ideas incorporated in to it. Here we go..

I want to build a .40 6" sightracker that I can change bbls for 9 or .38sc using an SV interchangeable breachface slide and Schueman hybridcomp .355 (5 port).
Add a bomar cut for my "fomar" and JP slide mounted red dot and removeable fr. .100f/o sight. This saves me the money of building two separete top ends, and keeps the overall swing weight/length down as well. I figure I'll have to flute the barrel to keep the gun from dipping and placing the center of mass where I like it. In front of the breach... I know 6" sightrackers are not USPSA legal yet, but I don't see it not changing and if not, I can always shoot steel as I intend to plenty before shooting USPSA/Ipsc games until I get mobility in my wrist to reload. Static steel is just fine by me as long as I'm enjoying myself. Anyway, I think the 6" gun will be shorter than a shorty comped open pistol. What are your thoughts?

I have an opinion

Big baby; why cantcha go shootin?
(Okay, kidding about the "big baby" thing).

You can easily do the gun thing; just use money.

I got one surgery on strong-arm elbow and shot the next match leftie.

Same thing I'm gonna do after the next surgery; shoot weak-hand only (I mean ONLY LOL).

I asked George Jones about having the RO 'make ready' for me; he said "No rules prohibit it".

Reloading will be simple; I'll holster hot, remove the empty mag while holstered, insert the fresh mag while holstered, and recommence shootin!

"Unload and show clear" can also be performed by the RO, after I've emptied the gun by firing, and dropped the now-empty mag.

Try that? I mean, it beats sittin around.
(No, you won't win. Yes, you'll be very very slow.)

All responsiblility for safety is mine and mine alone.

A33102

Weshoot, if I wasn't on so many drugs I would shoot a match, I fear for the safety of others as my own and never want to be the guy everyone remembers for almost shooting someone or myself. I am accident prone, and I just don't feel safe on heavy opiates. I don't want to drive home today high on this crap, so I'm seeing if anyone wants to go to vegas for free! All they got to do is drive! My real question was about the gun design. Whatcha think?

Ah...

I stop the 'surgery drugs' at least two days before the match (three wrist surgeries, one hernia surgery, one elbow surgery, on-going since 1995, waiting now for another elbow slashing) so I'm a bit clearer.
I pound the Advil.

The gun itself sounds like a great idea, but I suggest ensuring it get well-fitted.
Who were you considering?
Not sure about overall length compared to the shorties available (they all mass different up front due to diferences in slide and/or port/barrel design); how good are you/will be? Good enough to take advantage of the quicker 'swing-time'?

The breech-swap slides seem great (at least those I've touched).
I like the hole-top barrel. But I still might want more compensator attached out front.
'Glass' is personal (friend just swapped optics for a different setup and his scoring and overall performance rocketed ahead).

As always, I say "go for it, it's your money LOL".

I was going to either have Howard smith, venry of radical precision, or derek jankowicz of millenium custom. Have you seen his aimpoint driven 3gun, steel pistol he advertises in front-site? Imagine that in a 6" version with the ibf and 2 bbls. & sets of mags. Derek got pretty excited and says he would love to build one to test. I may opt for a frame mounted barry mount for a c-more. that way. I just have the holes to mount, and can remove the bomar n front sight to go open. I have been wanting to build my own, but I can't afford to ruin a bunch of $500 slides in the proccess.. I am 3 months out of surgery. I compound fractured my radius and had a surgical steel radial head implant. After 50+ fractures/surgeries this was beyond anthing I have ever experienced. I have been prescribed more pain meds than rush limbaugh, and I am currently on dylaudin/tramadol. If I don't get my fix, I get dope sick. Friggin md's turned me into a junky! I take my rehab very seriously and it hurts more than the initial accident. I go to phys. Therapy 4x weekly for 3-4 hours a session, and I dryfire practice a lot with my ltd gun. It is therapy that I can enjoy and really helps w my extension. I wear a turnbuckle torture device brace to help w flexation. I spoke to matt burkett and he recommended I get magnetic pouches and face them vertically on my strong arm side w the bullets facing directly at the course of fire and drop my mag, then get the mag in the well and use my leg to seat it. I tried it to some degree, but I don't have righty magnetic pouches yet. I did fire my first shots with my production gun and then ltd. w major pf ammo, and shot controlled pairs until I couldn't shoot anymore... Approx 70 rds and I was burned out. I will load up some .38sa and see how much I can handle shooting my Brazos pro 5" open gun. It weighs a bit more than my 6", but he recoil impulse is a pop in the hand w a 125gr zero jhp w 9.2gr. Of VV N-105. Feels like a comped .22! If I can shoot 300 rds w/o fatigue I will shoot steel. I can't walk a course I have to go full throttle or the fun is gone. Did I mention I broke my back 10 months ago? It kept me out the game for 3 months, but the pain is mild compared to my elbow until I go prone or shoot low ports. I been mimicking Henning Walgren to go low, & it's worked out until I went prone. Getting up w 1 arm and bad back, holstering to use my strong arm to stand up takes too much time and is really painful. I'm trying though! Man you inspire me but make me feel like a wuss at the same time! Maybe I'll have a trubor comp installed to the hybridcomp bbl. If it don't shoot flat enough. Well see.

Last edited:
new millenium (clear enough?)

Friend just had a barry mounted; loves loves loves it (scores reflect the improvement).

Infirmity can affect us at any age (I was killed from a motorcycle wreck --vs 'accident'-- in 1984).
I've literally had to be lifted erect on more than one stage (while I am not proud of that, I remain giggling).
"Pain" is a mental state, so I moved to a different state.

I accept my physical limitations; I attempt to exceed them; I continue to enjoy my shooting excursions regardless.

(Admission: By the time I've shot four or five stages I may no longer be on top of my game LOL.)

A33102

Back