Idea for .22 Kit Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt VDW

I'd like some feedback on an idea for a new handgun design to fill what seems to me to be an empty niche.

What I have in mind is a small, light and inexpensive but accurate single shot .22 LR pistol, perhaps sort of a two thirds scale T/C Contender. This gun could be used to train new shooters, for plinking, or for taking small game in survival situations.

Specifications:

Weight - Under 18 ounces

Barrel Length - About 4"

Sights - Fixed, high visibility

Construction - Steel barrel with a plastic or aluminum frame

Trigger - Single action, about 3 pounds

Safety - I'd like something that could be carried safely uncocked with a round in the chamber, then drawn, cocked and fired with one hand.

Accuracy - Five rounds into 1.5" at 25 yards

Retail Cost - Under $150

Could this gun be built? Would you buy one if it were?

You call this a "kit" gun, which sounds like you may be using it on the trail or in survival situations. I personally would not buy such a pistol due to the fact that it is only a single shot... and a .22 at that. I have a taurus 9 shot .22 revolver with a 3 inch barrel which fills that niche nicely. And you have 9 shots, not just one. For me, a single shot has no place as a so called kit gun. But thats just my humble oppinion. One of the new smith titanium airweights in .22 with a 3 inch barrel is also attractive, but a little on the pricey side.

While I too recommend a revolver, either a compact .22 like the S&W Kit Gun or the Ruger Bearcat, there was one pistol that just fits your bill. It was the Sheridan Knockabout. These are rather uncommon now, but can still be bought for less than $100, and seem to be almost exactly as you describe. If you advertise for one on the site trading forums, you might find one.

Jim

Bob S: The reason I considered a single shot .22 was to hold down production costs and weight and because I can't think of many jobs for a .22 that require multiple shots. The concept is to provide a light, inexpensive niche gun to complement a repeating "trail gun" in a heavier caliber.

Jim K: Thanks for the info on the Sheridan Knockabout. I'll try to look into its history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back