ID this rifle

marcseatac

100_1194.jpg

100_1193.jpg

A forum member from another gun board inherited this rifle from a Grandmother who has history of it's use in the civil war by another family member. He thinks it's an 1858 Colt but it looks different to me. If anyone knows what it is I will post in his thread. I think it's valuable and maybe rare. What is it?

Lacks the Root rear "knob" but then it has a strap iron replacement trigger guard, so maybe it has just led a hard life.

As far as I can tell, it is a Colt Model 1855 (Root model) half-stock sporting rifle. It could be a cut down musket but the foreend looks like the sporting model. The caliber would be .56. They were made in .36 and .44 also, but those are six shots and the pictures show a cylinder that is five shot and obviously bigger than .44. As others noted, the rear of the cylinder pin is missing and the trigger guard is a replacement. The name "Root model" comes from the design which was the work of E.K. Root and Colt himself.

The patent marking should read "1856", not 1858.

Some Colt revolving rifles were used in the Civil War. They were the first rifles issued to Berdan's famous Sharpshooters, though they later got Sharps rifles (the names are coincidental; the term "sharpshooter" for a marksman was in use long before Christian Sharps was born). It is unlikely that a sporting model would have been issued, but a soldier (or more likely an officer) might well have carried a personal weapon, even if he had to cast his own bullets.

Jim

Thanks guys. I know the experts reside on this forum!:)

I posted the text from Jims post and he came back with this:

The forend is actually the last 12" of a 2 banded forend of a 30" or so barrel.It now has a 21" and was cut back,which was popular for horse mounted troops.Whether it was done before or after the war who knows.This gun wasn't martially marked for the military,and since my ancestor mustered out with it,it was probably a personal gun.I'd say it's at least a .56+ cal.The patent date is hard to read due to pitting,so it may be 1856.The cylinder pin appears to be an old smith made piece,as well as the t.guard.Hey,after 150+ years,it's had some work.Yea,it's Conn marked,I had NY in my mind due to the '55 Navys....
--------------------------------------

Good eye Jim Keenan

Last edited:
Back