ID this revolver?

Carmady

These two pics are probably from the late 1950s to help date it.

Attachments

• ec a.jpg
    ec a.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 176
  • ec b.jpg
    ec b.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 159
One of the SAA experts will probably correct me on this but it looks like a Colt Buntline, and in the second picture it might be glare but it looks like the loading gate is missing.

On closer look it looks like the gate is open and its at half cock.

I don't know how closely the new model Blackhawks mirror the older Single Six but there is no half cock and with the loading gate open the hammer stays down,

Thanks. I'm assuming it's the same handgun in all three pics.

Here's another pic. It's small, but might help.

Attachments

• ec c.jpg
    ec c.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 95
It appears to be a "Buntlne Special".

Beyond that the pictures don't give me enough information to be certain.

According to folklore, author Ned Buntline ordered the gun(s) from Colt, standard SAA but with a 12 inch barrel. Gave one to Wyatt Earp,,,,,

there is a Wikipedia page on this, which indicates most of the folklore is false or there has been no evidence found verifying it...

Colt did make some "Buntline Specials" when they resumed production of the SAA after WWII, and other companies have made their own clones to cash in on the cowboy craze from the 50s on up.

Generally speaking any single action revolver with a barrel 12" (or just longer than 7.5") is sometimes called a Buntline Special, no matter who made it, or when, or caliber. There are/were Buntline .22s and other calibers as well.

It's not a Ruger flat top. Colt came out with the Buntline in 1957. Eddie died in 1960. He was a gun collector and had a .45 Colt Buntline in his collection and was an excellent shot with it. I would assume that was it.

Back