I wan't to start Varmit hunting but.....

RomaRana

How do I find the varmets!!!! I am only a target shooter and I have never been hunting. I have the hunter safty card and a small game permit but where do I go to find the varmits. Also, when I say varmits I mean stuff like woodchucks. Now I need some answers other than ..." well ask a varmit hunter." Because I do not know any, nor have I ever met any at the range.

Thanks

Try this link, http://www.varminthunter.org/

It's a good place to start. The VHA is an international organization for varmint hunters with members around the world, maybe even Lapland. They have a terrific 240 page quaterly magazine that comes with membership.

You also might try a google search for Lapland+varmint+hunting. Who knows what might pop up, good luck!

To start with, youmust learn about animal behavior in the wild, just "in general".

Don't worry about guns, gear, calling, and all that. Spend time "out in the boonies" around first light of morning and late in the evening around sundown. Just sit and watch.

Successful hunting of any sort demands that you learn the habits of your intended prey. The only way you can do that is to go out with them and observe.

In any sort of hunting, one absolute rule is, "Don't be in a hurry."

FWIW, Art

Thanks Art, I would have to say that is about the best answer I got on any of the boards on the net. I had a feeeling I would get a good answer here(thats why I decided to register).

The guns are not a problem I have those ;) .

I was once pretty regular over at http://www.varminter.com , where there are a number of pretty knowledgeable varmint hunters.

Both here at TFL and over there are threads on the "how to" of calling. Try the search features...

:), Art

A good place to start is to find natural/unnatural salt deposits. Critters like salt.

If you live where the state salts the roads for winter, watch the sides of the roads. Also, look for areas in streams where the water has to get around a lot of big rocks.

Next would be water.

Look in areas where water isn't totally present - near wells and springs. Usually, they'll be uphill of streams or ponds. Critters can't live too well in burrows where there's a chance of flooding, so they'll get their water from sources closest to their homes uphill, where there's more cover and less traffic.

Varmint hunting

Run a search engine on your P.C with Varmint Hunting as a keyword.

There are many good sites out there willing to share info!

Good Luck & hunting!

12-34hom.

You'll find your woodchucks in open fields in the spring. When the grass first starts growing, they'll be out and easy to spot.
Later in the spring, when the grass is longer, they'll be hard to see.
Look along the edges of the fields too. they frequently have their burrows there just inside the woodline.

They're pretty wary though, especially once they've been shot at. A 200+ yard shot is the norm.

Be sure to ask permission to hunt. We were never refused access to anyone's land. In fact, the farmers will usually tell you where to find most of them.

We don't have them here in the southwest. I sure miss hunting them.

Back