I want to purchase a good .22 mm. Any advise?

Basil

I currently own a SIG P229 9.0 mm and I want to purchase my wife a good .22 mm pistol to use in competition shooting.
Although money is not a major issue here, I want to avoid some ugly "exotic" models that sometimes look more like a bug or a grasshopper than a gun! I was told that Hammerlis are good. If so, any suggestions?

Many thanks

Basil,
Gee, isn't a 22mm shell kinda big for your wife???? ;)
If you want a .22LR, I would not waste my money on those high priced models. The Ruger P512 (22/45) will fit the bill quite nicely. Mine is a real tack driver!!!!

Basil,

There's no such thing as a ".22 mm" pistol. The most common rimfire chambering is the .22 Long Rifle, where the ".22" refers to twenty-two hundreths of an inch, not a millimeter. The metric equivalent is about 5.6 millimeters.

Anyway...

What sort of competition will your wife be shooting? Different matches have different requirements and the perfect pistol for one match might not be suitable (or even permissable) for another.

For a beginner, I would say go with a Ruger .22/45, or the Mark II .22. Both models are available with different barrel lengths, and have good sights and triggers for a newcomer.
If you want to spend a little more, I hear good things about the Hammerli Trailside Model.

I believe that the .22 mm is an experimental hyper velocity sabot round for use by the intelligence community. I do not believe that it will be available to the general public.

But in all seriousness, the .22 LR or a .38 spl would be a good starting point. In the .22, a Ruger MkII would be a great choice. Plus the .22 LR is just so darn cheap to shoot.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/hgpages/mark2text.html

The Ruger .22s are pretty durable and sufficiently accurate. Not the most user-friendly when it comes to disassembling, however (I know...it's all about holding it just this way, swearing at just the right moments, and having a positive attitude :rolleyes:.)

Give the Browning Buckmark a look. The top end versions are excellent shooters and are visually appealing with nice walnut grips, gold triggers, and substantial bull barrels. Only downside is Browning customer service is an oxymoron according to many folks.

Sub

Since money is not an issue, go with the Hammerli 208S or a Walther GSP. Great target pistols. Around $1600 or so.

If you can find a preagreement S&W Model 41 it is an option as well.

Last, a Ruger is the inexpensive option.

I have them all and my favorites are the Walther and Hammerli.

Back