I want to offer ultrasonic cleaning to customers...questions...

hifiaudio

Inactive
I am getting my FFL type 7 and SOT 02 and also want to offer untrasonic cleaning and lubing at my business as a value add and way to differentiate and attract new customers. I am just beginning to look into the various machines. Obviously I need a high quality industrial unit, capable of cleaning and lubing a few guns at a time and long enough for long uppers, etc. I figure a tank that is at least 20" should cover most weapons.

Any gotchas or advice for what I should look for as far as brands or even specific models? I have been looking at Crest.

Any issues with me doing this? Has one every harmed a gun that anyone here knows about personally? I certainly wouldn't want to ruin anything or even really have a possibility of doing so.

Thanks for any advice!

I just did this for my shop. Be prepared.

In addition to the ultrasonic unit and oil bath unit, you need drying/dripping racks to set the guns in while they dry and drip out the excess oil from the oil bath.

You will need good ventilation or things in your shop will begin to rust. The tank is heated and puts out some steam when it is opened.

A sturdy stand is needed, because the ultrasonic cleaner is heavy when filled with water, and only 20" tall, so you need to raise it up to 36" so you can work around it and see into it as well as overhead clearance so you can lift the parts out of the solution.

Be sure to set up the ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water, otherwise you will get spots on the metal.

Thanks... I am thinking of the Lyman pro series now.. nice and long at 36" and very good reviews. Would get two of them to leave the oil bath in the second one more or less permanently. So you dont need to use compressed air to dry after the lubricant bath? Just let them drip for a while?

So it would be ~20 min in the cleaner, take out, put in lube bath for 15-20 more, take out, drip dry?

What cleaning solution is pretty fool proof? Seems Simply Green is popular, especially the aircraft or PRO HD version, either of which is supposedly safe for aluminum? Is there ANY part of ANY modern pistol or rifle that should not be put in the cleaner or lube?

Lastly, what do you charge for this service? Just trying to get a bead on what is competitive and fair.

Thanks a ton!

In addition to that question, I see some Youtube videos showing a person cleaning a Glock and still having to wipe it thoroughly to get all the grime off, while others seems to show the Ultrasonic cleaner completing the cleaning job itself. Which is correct?

First off, I know little to nothing about using an ultrasonic for firearms. I have used my smaller but industrial quality L&R unit for years cleaning mechanical clock movements since I am a clock collector. The first rule is always disassemble the clock movement down to individual parts for a proper cleaning. I do not know whether the same rules applies to firearms.

I also know that some oils such as WD-40 will ruin your cleaning solution upon first use. I am not sure what effect gun oil or other chemical components will have on your cleaning solutions. I also know I blow dry components prior to putting them into the combination rise/lubricating solution for the second part of the process. Then it is dried by a blower. With small parts, I simply use a hair drier. You will certainly need something more substantial. Then the components or in your case will need proper lubrication by gun oil or proper grease for slides/etc.

I am able to clean about ten clock movements before it is time to dispose of the cleaning solution and starting with fresh solutions. It will depend upon how dirty the parts or item(s) you are cleaning.

You will also have to have good ventilation since some of the chemicals especially those which come as concentrates are very strong in odor from usually ammonia. I actually use a protective mask when mixing the cleaning solution concentrate with distilled water.

Below is a link to L&R on their firearms section. I have not reviewed it, but you may want to for more reliable information than what I can offer. I suspect you can do the same with Crest and others in the business. I suspect you are going to find the initial investment to be substantial for long term industrial quality units.

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/weapons/

Back