I want to Buy a Trap gun...

Hook_N_Bullet

My gun club has a great trap program, I've gone several times to the pratice shoots with a Marlin pump and I'm now at the point where I'd like to get an over/under.

I like the looks of the Ruger Red Labels, but before I buy, I would be remiss if I did not seek the wisdom of TFL:)

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

The problem with the shotgun sports is that the fit of a given gun for a given individual is very importent. My advice would be to try to share a gun over a round of trap. My club is pretty good about this. A classy touch is to pay for the other fellows round.

I tried a bunch and came up with a winner for me. It does not follow that you'll like the same brand.

That being said, you probably won't be too out of wack if you get a good high quality gun such as a Ruger or Beretta.

Giz

Giz, is there a way to get "fitted" or measured for a stock first? I don't have plans to compete in the ATA or anything, but I'd like to give myself the best jump start I can.

Thanks for the good advice,

Dave

Trap guns are usually set up to shoot high and often come with monte carlo stocks, higher ribs and longer barrels. The Red Label is set up as a field/sporting gun.

An over/under is a fairly hefty investment and trap is a specialized game. If you are going to shoot trap and only trap I'd look at a Beretta or Browning high rib trap gun. But if you intend to shoot skeet or sporting I'd get a standard sporting clays gun and use it for all the games. Unless you really want to own two over/unders and there is nothing wrong with that. :D

Dave - there are places (Brileys comes to mind) that can adjust the gun to fit you. There are several folks here that are much more knowledgeable.

Giz

Trap Guns

One Lady Trapshooter once told me Trap guns are like men. Before you find your handsome prince you have to kiss a lot of frogs:)

In my own experience Trapshooters go through a lot of guns before settling on the right gun. Then spend the rest of their lives looking for the perfect gun. Trapshooters change guns like most people change clothes. They are never satisfied.

I would recommend shooting what you have and trying as many guns as you can. Ask if the range rents guns, most do and this will give you a feel for several guns. You might want to visit other ranges if you can. Ask other shooters about their guns, most will yak for hours why their gun is best.

Once you decide on the gun you like spend the $150 or so to have a fitting done by someone competent, the money is worth it as a competent fitter will be able to determine the right measurements for your body. It's like a good suit, you wouldn't spend $700 for a good suit and not have it tailored to you. Same with a Trap gun. (Or Skeet or Sporting Clays) Trap guns are generally set up different than other guns, higher ribs and stocks etc. You might want to look at a specialized trap gun (ruger has one in their catalog, although I haven't seen one yet).

Get a copy of "Blacks Wing and Clay", you can find it in any good bookstore. I get mine free because my club is on their mailing list. This book lists people who do fittings and has lots of other good info like ranges and manufacturers of firearms. It pays for itself.

Good Luck and have fun!

Geoff Ross

Trap gun

Another piece of advice:)

You may be tempted to install adjustable combs and buttplates on you gun. Don't do it! You will spend so much time trying to get just the right dimensions you will eventually end up in the Mental ward. Get a good fitting and stick with the measurements, don't continually try to adjust the gun.

If you miss check your technique and go back to basics. Take a lesson with a good coach. I have seen more shooters try to blame the gun when it is something they are doing wrong. When I miss a lot I have come to realize it is me, not my equipment.

Geoff Ross

Geoff:

I like adjustable combs and butt pads on trap guns. My first trap gun was a BT99 Plus that had both. With some judicious work at the patterning board you can set a gun up to shoot where you want it. I agree they are not as good as a properly fitted stock but they are not a bad compromise.

The downside is that they upset the balance of the gun but that is not as critical with a game that is shot premounted and the overwhelming temptation to start fiddling with it when you get into a slump.

I hope you don't think I've committed a moral sin by putting an adjustable pad on my Krieghoff Model 32. It already had the adjustable comb when I bought it. Incidentally, does Krieghoff do made to measure stocks?

Back