I want some oddball guns to play with!

Not too many true odd balls in rifles, but if there are no legal issues, there are a zillion handguns that fit that description, mainly in the old revolvers and auto pistols. Many of those are cheap ($50-75 range) if you don't care about appearances, and there a bunch of different actions, especially in revolvers. (The auto pistol oddities are mainly out of reach today except to advanced (meaning "rich") collectors.)

One suggestion, buy a copy of Flayderman's Guide and look at the "cartridge handguns" section and you will see what I mean. At most gun shows, there will be a guy who specializes in that sort of thing and may have what you want.

Jim

You might enjoy some of these:

Austrian Mannlicher straight pull. (Complex and interesting bolt assembly.)
Canadian Ross straight pull rifle. (DON'T take the bolt apart.)
Portuguese Mauser Verguiero.
Greek Mannlicher Schoenauer.
Japanese Type "I" bolt action rifle as made in Italy.

oddballs

Good suggestions. The Vetterli is a nice idea.
Try a Martini-Henry longlever in 577-450. Great fun and fine shooters. If you are lucky, you might find its little brother, the Martini Cadet in .310 Cadet.
Pistols: the Russian Nagant pistols are fun. Get yourself a Webley if you can find one, either in .455 Webley or the later versions in .38/200 (.38 S&W).
Pete

I've always had a thing about break-top revolvers and Ruby pistols, though, except for one Webley, I've never had any of them. There were all sorts of the old break-top revolvers of varying degrees of quality, with S&W being the best, I assume, but some of the others weren't too bad. Ruby pistols are decidedly curios and relics and again, came in varying degrees of quality. I think Astra made the best, from the ones I've examined.

You have a Mosin Nagant rifle, so get a Nagant pistol to match.

These are unique revolvers, when you pull the trigger the cylinder moves forward to give a tight seal with the barrel, you get a few more fps due to this feature.

There are lots of these around, they are not too expensive.

The thing is about the vetterli. its a rimfire weapon so i will have to convert it to a center fire. which i saw is pretty easy.

It takes about 15 minutes to convert a Vetterli and the brass is cheap to reform I use 8mm Label brass $38 per 100 from Graff's You can do it without the specific dies with 44 mag dies just a little harder.

Back