I Want My Range To Get This Chronograph

DaleA

I always thought it would be neat to have a chronograph but I'm too cheap to spend the $100 or so one would cost and I'd probably, eventually, put a round into the screens. Sigh.

I've always felt a club or range should have a chronograph set up on one lane for members but I realize the thing would be blown away probably about every three days.

Now:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph
A screen less chronograph and I'd REALLY like my local range to get one. If we all start suggesting it to all our ranges maybe it'll become a 'standard' feature.

That does look cool!

Probably out of my price range at this time but for some or as part of the services a range offers I could understand.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think that nearly any range could build a cast concrete housing to contain and protect standard equipment, but if this thing can eliminate the need for the stands, it's perfect. Sounds to me like it's tech from police radar guns.

This is the type of thing that Hornady used to develop their new bullets.
All it is is Doppler radar. Doesn't really pick up stationary objects. Does wonders with moving objects though.

And I'm betting the range would say buy your own.

"...a club or range should have a chronograph..." Whatever for? No, wait. That was developed by Infinition Inc. of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada. Buy two. Canada needs the jobs. Even if Quebec gets most of its funding from the rest of Canada. Infinition Inc. is probably owned by foreigners though. snicker.

I don't know about ranges in other states but around here I never saw a range with a $50 chrony. To expect that they're going to invest is a nearly $600 one is fantasy.

Hell... I've never seen a range around here with proper target holders. A decent back stop is an unexpected "perk".

To expect that they're going to invest is a nearly $600 one is fantasy.

Maybe. But it's one of my more harmless fantasies so I'll keep it.

I have in mind one of the indoor ranges in the Twin Cities (Bill's) and they have the fancy motorized target carriers so maybe they'd set one lane of with the chronograph. Hmmm....I wonder if they make a coin operated version of the thing.

Hand loaders are the ones who want chronographs the most I think. Ranges around me don't seem to be that friendly with the brass grabbing, gun kabooming, no ammo buying types.

If you can afford a gun, ammo and the price of a range trip I think you can afford your own chronograph. Perfectly serviceable chonos can be bought for less than $100.

But maybe you can appeal to Obama. He may start the "Affordable Chronograph Act" just for you and the government will pay the tab. With my tax money.:rolleyes:

John it sounds like you need a bigger range bag. Or maybe your range bag is like my wifes purse that has every conceivable apperatus you can think of stuffed in it that will never, ever be used.

But if you reload a chono is an absolute necessity. And if you don't reload they are just fun to play with. When I got my first one I checked the speed on pellet guns, BB guns and my Whamo Wrist Rocket. Did you know a Wrist Rocket will shoot a 54 caliber lead round ball 215fps? Well it will. And it will kill cats, squirrels, birds and possums.

Then I took it to the range and shot a lot of my handloaded ammo. Yes everyone needs one. And they are affordable.

Back