I want another Mosin Nagant

Nick9130White

What years should I look for?
What years should I stay away from?
Hex or rounded receiver?
Tula or Izhmash?

I want to use it for hunting and target shooting.

I swear, the Mosins are an addiction I don't want to stop.

And no Finns. Russian only.

Just curious, why no Finn's? I have a bunch of Mosins and by far, the Finn. out performs the rest accuracy wise. I believe this is the general consensus on Mosins so Im puzzled as to why you would want to exclude that particular one.

Don't people get ones made before WWII cause they took more time on them?

No Finns cause Im a sucker for Russian guns. But there's a Russian converted to a Finn. For like 250. Is that a good price?
And Finns are pretty pricey.

There's 2 on GB right now for $275, 25 more than the conversion you referred to. The Finn. is definately my favorite out of the bunch, second to the 44. You get twice the accuracy (1.5 MOA vs. 3MOA, results may vary) for less than twice the price.

Depends on your goals what you should look for.

Here's about all the bases covered: http://7.62x54r.net/

Look down the page under Collectors/Rarity if you are looking to get more than your $100 worth for your $100 rifle as most retailers get large lots and have no idea what they've received.

If you have visions of having a rifle routinely capable of under 3MOA, look for one with a Boxed SA stamped on the barrel shank.

I got a couple of re-arsenaled 91/30's from Buds- they were damn near like new rifles. Made one hell of an accurate "sporter" that I'm shooting long range from one of them.

Since you're looking for a shooter, and not a "collector" gun, the main concern is chamber and bore condition, IMO.

Re-arsenaled rifles were reconditioned prior to being socked away, I'd look for one of those. Or, if there's an LGS nearby where you can look and inspect, before you buy...

Go to the website rr provided.
It shall answer all ye questions, and then some.

The barrel shank is the "fat" part of the barrel where it mates to the receiver.

ALL Finns are converted Russian rifles. OK, there may be a couple of Westinghouses out there, but the Finns never manufactured a single complete Mosin. Every one of them, no matter how reworked, started as a standard Russian Mosin Nagant. My M39 for instance has a 1916 Ishy receiver.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp

2008_0119finn20002-1.jpg

Guy at a gunshow had a Polish for $200 something. If I had the $ I would have got it. It was in very good condition too.

The workmanship and finish seems to be alot better on the ones made before 1941. I have a 1939 that I'm proud of. If I were to buy another it would be a "HEX". Note my buddie who has 3 ea. rifles picked up a m44 carbine made @ TULA in 1954. It is very nice, and shoots great.

Back