I want a Winchester Model 70

brotus2

I have three pre 64's. I want either a "Classic" (1992-2006) or a new one from FN. Price is not a consideration. I only punch paper.

Which would be the better gun? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have several Model 70s, pre & post 64s. It's my opinion that the new FN Model 70 is the best of the lot.

Thanks Craig. I was hoping you'd respond. One other question (since I haven't looked at the new ones yet but am going by Bass Pro tomorrow). I'm a wood and blue steel guy and was wondering how the finish compares to the beauty of the pre '64's.

wondering how the finish compares to the beauty of the pre '64's.

Mine is the Limited Edition Featherweight in 270. Beautiful wood and the bluing is deep, looks three demential, meaning, it looks like you can look into the metal.

I have a 80s era Featherweight in 257 Roberts, the wood on my FN Featherweight looks almost identical, making a perfect match.

I have one of the new FN made super grades in .30-06. While I haven't fired it yet, I can state that the wood/metal are very well finished and the bolt is smooth as butter. The safety is a little stiff, but seems to be smoothing up a bit as I work with it.

Thanks, men. Looks like the FN. Now, I have to decide on a caliber. I have 257, 270, and 30-06. I'm breaking into long range shooting and have been using the 270 but it's just too damn nice to keep it up with that one.

On the top is an FN produced .270 Featherweight. I've had a few 70s over the years before this one. Comparing them I can say the .270 here was the best of the lot.

Unfortunately I sold it because I downsized a bunch of rifles after this photo. In the end a Rem 700 won over it. I kept the 700 Rem instead.

P2240439.jpg

I sold my Remington 700 and bought a M70 SS Extreme and M70 Sporter in 30-06.

The quality difference is like comparing a Ford Taurus (Remington) to a Lexus (Winchester).

The new FN rifles are a safe bet. But many of the older Classics were very good guns and can sometimes be found used at good prices. Some of the Classics had "issues" as well, so you are taking a chance on them.

A good classic is a good M70. I have one in 6.5 x 55. Its a nice rifle, smooth and slick.

M70IMG_1523.jpg

But just based on my FN PBR, these have the best machining and fit of all M70's.

FNfulllengthDSCN8751.jpg

Back