I want a monster muzzle loader!

samsmix

I've had it in my head for a while to build a behemoth muzzle loading shotgun, something on the order of a 10ga throwing a 2.5 ounce charge of size F steel shot. (Guess you can see why;))

Anyone have any experience that may help? I truly don't mind some weight, and don't want to flirt with a trip to Esplodeyville. Don't worry about whether its practical, I want it and that reason will suffice.

Held a 4 gage once and that was it. They can be found if you have the funds but not legal to hunt with in many states.

8-gauge

I just bought myself a 8-gauge muzzleloading shotgun. In Sweden where i live they are not so hard to find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 28
I'm easily confused

After looking at your profile I am confused. Does black powder allow you to hunt a longer season, or are you thinking more of making your own shooting supplies vs buying?

Using a shotgun on deer? Personally (you are going to laugh) the only shotgun I have is a .410. Why? Because I don't shoot it unless I plan to eat it or it is attacking me, and I don't like eating buckshot. :D I don't know about making buckshot, looks like bullets would be easier.

As far as range, the full choke gives the same range, just not the pattern. You just think like you are shooting a rifle, get good or go home empty. I've killed Canadians with it.........no...the birds.

There is a 2/19/15 post on our sister shotgun forum in 'the hide', that may be of interest..or not. Perhaps some of the things discussed could be applied to a BP shotgun for your purpose?

If you are eating mostly deer, I would think a BP rifle would work much better. But if you want it, you want it. Like I said I'm easily confused. :confused:

Back